ELIN vs SubCLINs

Kaseybaja

27 minutes ago, Kaseybaja said:

What is the major factor in deciding whether to write a contract using ELINs vs sub CLINS? I am used to using ELINs and but my PCO likes sub CLINS. The FAR doesn't seem to answer our questions. I'm not sure if there is something I am missing. 

Did you review the DFARS and PGI guidance on use of SLINs?

Also, as a contractor, we see use of ELINs when there are huge volumes of individual deliverables (e.g., spares). Otherwise, no.

Bob can you please move this thread to a more appropriate category? This isn’t a workforce issue. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Kaseybaja said:

Do you know if more than 1 ACRN can be used for ELINs? Sub CLINs can only have 1.

Assuming you are asking about a DoD contract, then see DFARS PGI 204.7105(c)(1):

(1)  Criteria for establishing.  The criteria for establishing exhibit line items are the same as those for establishing contract line items (see DFARS 204.7103).

DFARS 204.7103-1(a)(4) states:

(4)  Single accounting classification citation.

(i)  Each contract line item shall reference a single accounting classification citation except as provided in paragraph (a)(4)(ii) of this subsection.

(ii)  The use of multiple accounting classification citations for a contract line item is authorized in the following situations:

(A)  A single, nonseverable deliverable to be paid for with R&D or other funds properly incrementally obligated over several fiscal years in accordance with DoD policy;

(B)  A single, nonseverable deliverable to be paid for with different authorizations or appropriations, such as in the acquisition of a satellite or the modification of production tooling used to produce items being acquired by several activities; or

(C)  A modification to an existing contract line item for a nonseverable deliverable that results in the delivery of a modified item(s) where the item(s) and modification are to be paid for with different accounting classification citations.

(iii)  When the use of multiple accounting classification citations is authorized for a single contract line item, establish informational subline items for each accounting classification citation in accordance with 204.7104-1(a).

18 hours ago, Kaseybaja said:

Yes it is. Maybe you should just get off of this thread. 

Kasey, I don’t have any problem with thread other than the fact that it doesn’t belong under the category that covers contracting workforce issues. You asked and are discussing a question concerning how to  “[write] a contract”, presumably for an acquisition to award a contract. You and your PCO have different preferences concerning formatting the CLIN structure, correct? Thus the “Contract Award” category is appropriate, especially for posterity filing and search purposes.

No malice intended. 

Joel:

I looked at the Author's post when it was originally written.  At that time, I believed that it was a question to the workforce for their opinion about an issue.  I also considered whether it should be in the contract award forum.  I felt that it was a general question to the workforce and left it in this forum.

I understand your point and appreciate your efforts and have adopted many of your suggetions.  However, this time I believe it is where it should be.