The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

Wifcon.com is being upgraded with a new server and new software.  This will affect Wifcon.com's DNS Numbers.  For example, the server you use to access the internet has a DNS number.  Wifcon.com's server has a different DNS number.  Since Wifcon.com's DNS will be changed, your server may not be able to find wifcon.com's new server immediately.  It may take 4 to 24 hours for your server to find wifcon.com.  This may affect my ability to see Wifcon.com too.

If you cannot access it, just type in wifcon.com to your browser.  That might find it quicker.  You might have to save a new bookmark for Wifcon.com.  I don't know.  This is supposed to be done within 72 hours.  That includes the entire site:  forum and the rest of the site.  This was a mandatory upgrade that I could no longer delay.

If something goes wrong, I will be working with my host to correct it.

In the last 24 hours, there have been 2 major changes to Wifcon.com.  There is one you don't see and another that is quite visible.

1.  The one you don't see is the change to a new server and new server software.  If you see this post, your are looking at Wifcon.com on its new server with its new server software.  That was done to keep the web host's server and software current.  I've tested it and everything seems to be working.  Additionally, I will check the posts that you added during the move to see if the ones I copied are posted to the new server.

This change to the new server means that your servers will have to find Wifcon.com's new server by DNS numbers.  Since the server change was on Friday night, most servers on earth should be pointing in the correct location.  Some servers may take more time.  

2.  The second change is the one we are experiencing for the first time.  That affects the discussion forum and blogs.  I can see there is a change to the color scheme.  Your accounts may have changed how they appear and function, I have not checked mine yet.  The operating software behind the discussion board and blogs apparently has changed significantly.  I have not checked that yet to see what has been done.  

I have one other minor change I have to make to Wifcon.com with the web host over the next few weeks.  You may notice that when it happens.  I will let you know when it is done.  

I also have 2 articles to post--one by Vern Edwards and my A-12 article.  They should be online within a week.

Finally, within the next week, I will begin redesigning Wifcon.com with more new software.  This will take a couple of months--I think and will affect everything that is not on the discussion forums and blogs.  Over 22 years, Wifcon.com has grown to around 1,000 pages--give or take a couple hundred pages.  That many pages made Wifcon.com unmanageable.  

Now, I must look at the software changes behind the discussion forum and blogs and see if what the upgrade did to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Some things I noticed about the recently twice-revised forum software.

1. After someone writes an oringinal post, the software will identify them as Author in future posts in the thread (topic).  Orinally, I thought it was a mistake in the software.    
  2. Some posters may see a little symbol near their icons.  I have one automatically provided by the software that declares me as a moderator.  I've seen another as a hand that declares a new member and newly registered or something like that.
  3. I've also noticed that if a post is made months after the previous post was made, the software points that out.  (I try to lock old topics after they are six months old.)
  4. A line appears in the tolic to indicate your unread posts.
  5. When you add a post, the software takes some time to create your post in a software file.  If you edit in after that, it posts the edit much quicker.  I remember I dealing with this in the past and am trying to remember what I did.

There may be others I haven't noticed yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, bob7947 said:

Some things I noticed about the recently twice-revised forum software.

1. After someone writes an oringinal post, the software will identify them as Author in future posts in the thread (topic).  Orinally, I thought it was a mistake in the software.    
  2. Some posters may see a little symbol near their icons.  I have one automatically provided by the software that declares me as a moderator.  I've seen another as a hand that declares a new member and newly registered or something like that.
  3. I've also noticed that if a post is made months after the previous post was made, the software points that out.  (I try to lock old topics after they are six months old.)
  4. A line appears in the tolic to indicate your unread posts.
  5. When you add a post, the software takes some time to create your post in a software file.  If you edit in after that, it posts the edit much quicker.  I remember I dealing with this in the past and am trying to remember what I did.

There may be others I haven't noticed yet.

Since the upgrade, How can I see in my profile page how to message someone or where my messages streams are so that I can review Them?

Never mind-  i stumbled upon the Message envelope somehow...

20 hours ago, bob7947 said:

Joel:

I clicked on your name and message, activity, profile, etc.  Appeared.

I was looking for the little envelope symbol in order to PM a member. Found it by clicking on the three bars in the top right  Corner to access a drop down menu. The message symbol appeared at top right corner. 

On 10/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, joel hoffman said:

I was looking for the little envelope symbol in order to PM a member. Found it by clicking on the three bars in the top right  Corner to access a drop down menu. The message symbol appeared at top right corner. 

Same drop down menu appears when not in my profile page, 🙄 “duh...me”.