Labor Hour Positions Unfilled - Task Order

Motorcity

My teammates are going through a few older 8(a) ANC direct award task orders for professional services. One of the orders ended quite a while ago, but we noticed a few interesting things. Mainly, that several CLINs were left unfilled on the task order, but they weren't taken off via partial termination for convenience. It appears that a CLIN was created for each labor category (and each CLIN was funded from a different pot of money as well).Seems that our picky (and powerful) program office couldn't decide whether to keep the positions, or remove them altogether. Looks like the now-retired CO left the positions on the requirement, but didn't fund (or even fill) them. Has anyone ever had this happen on a labor hour requirement before? Have you seen positions remain on the requirement, yet go unfunded/unfilled due to program/client issues?

A CLIN for each labor category?  Wow -- I might not want to set up the contract that way.

If a labor hour CLIN is unfunded, I suppose its ceiling price is zero -- this means the contractor has no obligation to perform and the government has no obligation to pay -- maybe everyone understands and everyone is happy.

Is there a problem that you need to resolve?

1 hour ago, Motorcity said:

It appears that a CLIN was created for each labor category (and each CLIN was funded from a different pot of money as well).

Why was it necessary to use funding from a different pot of money for each category?  That what really seems strange to me.

10 hours ago, Motorcity said:

My teammates are going through a few older 8(a) ANC direct award task orders for professional services. One of the orders ended quite a while ago, but we noticed a few interesting things. Mainly, that several CLINs were left unfilled on the task order, but they weren't taken off via partial termination for convenience. It appears that a CLIN was created for each labor category (and each CLIN was funded from a different pot of money as well).Seems that our picky (and powerful) program office couldn't decide whether to keep the positions, or remove them altogether. Looks like the now-retired CO left the positions on the requirement, but didn't fund (or even fill) them. Has anyone ever had this happen on a labor hour requirement before? Have you seen positions remain on the requirement, yet go unfunded/unfilled due to program/client issues?

Just a thought as the discussion on this continues.   I suggest first step going forward is to review FAR subpart 4.10 regarding CLINS as the starting point with its read combined with the thoughts of this thread.

17 hours ago, joel hoffman said:

So, they weren’t actually “ordered”? 

It appears not, but I am still going through the file. It appears that several contract employees left the requirement and the program office couldn't decide on whether or not they had a need for replacing those individuals.