Remedy for Blatantly Illegal Bridge Contract

jvanhorne

There could be some unintended consequences with this program. I can just see it where an unsuccessful vendor bemoans their loss and take it out on the agency's CO. Or the contractor failed to perform and the CO forced the contractor to provide costly consideration; how dare that CO protect the agency's interest.

It will be a sad day when a CO makes a determination to get a high quality review on their A360 profile then make the tough decisions in support of the taxpayer.

I think the idea of the 360s is to try and improve relations between the program office, Contracting and the contractor by giving each feedback on what they could do better. However like all evaluation type surveys, most personnel are not going to be honest so as to not rat on the others. A few like to rat on the others and will make things sound worse than ever. The whole thing will never be effective and is a waste of everyones time. If you believe in 360 surveys, like OFPP does then this sounds great. They are not the only ones praising 360s. For a realist like me, it will create more animosity than it solves. There is a natural tension between the three parties and there should be to a certain extent. Thats why I have clients and not customers.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an idea. Write an evaluation of the contracting office's performance from the perspective of a propspective offeror. Put it on a Web site called GPARS (Government Performance Assessment Reporting System) (You would have to create the Web site). Allow other contractors and prospective contractors to submit written assessments of their dealings with other contracting offices. You could evaluate the a particular contracting office on the basis of their record of complying with regulations in soliciting offers and awarding contracts, clarity of their solicitations, their history of reasonable and cooperative behavior, their record of integrity and business ethics, their promptness and clarity of responses to offeror inquiries, the promptness of responding to requests for equitable adjustments, etc. I would imagine that this type of information would be valuable to a prospective offeror deciding which contracts it would like to compete for. It might also be valuable to agency management who want to know how they are perceived by industry. You could sell some advertising to pay for the site.

I am serious.

Great idea Don. Unfortunately this name is taken (GPARS.com) but there is available GPARS.CO. Irony is quantifiable.