RFPs for FFP PWS SSEBs

DACQ

I'm looking for an example of an RFP sections L&M, particularly evaluation

criteria for determining best value of competitive, performance based, FFP

proposals. Not just pricing, but non-pricing factors as well. Does anyone

already have experience with this or can you point me to a good source ?

I'm looking for an example of an RFP sections L&M, particularly evaluation

criteria for determining best value of competitive, performance based, FFP

proposals. Not just pricing, but non-pricing factors as well. Does anyone

already have experience with this or can you point me to a good source ?

Try looking at FedBizOps and pulling some RFPs from there? There may be many examples of what you are looking for.

Guest Vern Edwards

Better yet, instead of copying from someone else, who might or might not have known what they were doing, think the issues through and write your own Sections L and M, from scratch. If you don't know enough to do that, then you don't know enough to know a good example when you see one. If you don't know enough, then write some questions and ask for help with answers.

Better yet, instead of copying from someone else, who might or might not have known what they were doing, think the issues through and write your own Sections L and M, from scratch. If you don't know enough to do that, then you don't know enough to know a good example when you see one. If you don't know enough, then write some questions and ask for help with answers.

Good point. I did not say to copy from someone else but to use a good example as an example. That brings ut to your other good point. It's impossible to tell the good from the bad if you don't know what the good is supposed to look like.

Guest Vern Edwards

Here is how to proceed:

Figure out what you are buying. Make sure you understand the requirement. Once you do, work with your client (user, requirements activity, whatever you call them) and proceed as follows:

1. Decide what attributes you want in the product or service you are buying, other than price.

2. Decide what attributes do you want in a contractor.

3. Decide which attributes are such that every offeror will have them, whether you ask for them or not.

4. Decide which attributes are such that some offerors may not have them and others may have them in various measures. These attributes are your nonprice evaluation factors for award.

5. Of those attributes, decide of which you want a particular measure and of which do you need at least a specific measure but would pay more to get more.

6. Of those for which you would pay more to get more, determine the scale of measurement and the maximum measure for which you would pay more.

7. Those attributes for which you want only a particular measure are to be evaluated on a pass/fail basis?value is binary, either 0 or 1, pass or fail, go or no go, acceptable or unacceptable. These are the most important factors, since failure to propose any of them in at least the minimum measure will render a proposal unacceptable.

8. Those attributes for which you want at least a specific measure but would pay more to get more are to be evaluated in two steps. First, it must be determined whether an offeror has proposed at least the minimum measure. Second, it must be determine whether any offerors have proposed more than the minimum. Each that does propose more than the minimum is to be evaluated on a variable scale up to the maximum measure?the more offered the better the value. These are either equal to or less important than the pass/fail factors, and are either equal to each other or in some order of importance.

9. Section M includes a general statement of the agency objectives (best value, etc.), a description of the various factors and how each is to be evaluated, and a statement of their relative importance. Write Section M now, before you write Section L. Do not worry about the format of Section M at this point in time. Focus on writing clear and unambiguous descriptions of the evaluation factors (attributes), how you will evaluate them, and their relative importance. Write using your own words and in plain English. Do not worry about government acquisition jargon at this point in time.

10. Once you have written Section M, write Section L which is the specification of the information that you want offerors to submit so that you can evaluate them on the basis of the factors described in Section M. Describe the information that you want the offerors to send to you and how you want that information organized and packaged. Separate the information into (a) offers: i.e., promises you want them to make about product or service attributes and contract terms and (B) information about their attributes as a company. Do not worry about the format of Section L at this point in time. Write in your own words and in plain English. Do not worry about government acquisition jargon at this point in time.

11. When you have finished with your drafts of Section L and M, comply with any agency-specific instructions about their content and format. Apply any acquisition jargon and ritual stylization. You might have to ask an old-timer for help with the jargon and stylization.

12. Submit the product for the necessary reviews and prepare for the inevitable editing. Unless you have already won the Pulitzer Prize for your writing, don?t argue much about how people (staffers, lawyers) say you should say things or make you say them. That is a waste of time and energy. Wait until you are well-respected and know more than they do and/or are in charge (knowledge and authority do not necessarily travel hand-in-hand) to tell them to go to hell. Anyway, you might learn something from the editors.

This is very top level. If you don't understand something, ask questions. Don't wait until next week to ask, because my attention span is very short and if a thread goes dead for more than two days I might not look at it again. If I do look at it, I might not post anything. So if by the time you see this you haven't checked this thread for a couple of days and now want to ask questions, ask somebody else. I generally don't bother with people who start a thread and then don't keep up with what's happening in it.

I wish you well with your task.