Coronavirus Impact

AAC

Coronavirus Impact  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What Impact has the Coronavirus outbreak made to your work environment?

• No Impact - Conduct business as usual
    • Some Impact - Conducting business but with some limitations
    • Significant Impact - Conducting business has been degraded or shut down
    • My office is allowing the option to work from home

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only effect on me is a lack of disinfectant wipes which I normally buy.  I am self-contained in my home office.

Wifcon.com's Home Page is dependent on the federal government posting contracting related information.  The discussion board will be available to you into the distant future.

Conversely, contractors are struggling to determine what of the many "what ifs" should be discussed/approved by the customer in advance vs. making a management decision that could later be questioned or disputed.  Knowing our customer's position would be a big help .

Oh, and we have many "what ifs" going on right now.  You would think this was World War Z or the Walking Dead...

6 hours ago, Constricting Officer said:

Currently. Could change today to total work from home. 

Voted this morning. Some Impact. 

As of 1 hour ago, told to go work from home for 20 days as someone in an office 500 miles away may have come in contact with someone that might have the CVD10 virus. 

Ha!

H-2-H and all:

This is real to an unknown extent.  Look at CDC's Map.  You will see 3 states that did not report cases.  That means they are not testing yet or they are simply not reporting.  Around March 5, there were about 40 states without testing.  Until testing is going on full throttle in the U. S., we won't even know the extent of COVID-19 here.  CDC has posted 1,629 cases for the past 2 days.  That's nonsense.  The number of cases is dependent on testing.

Look at the World Health Organization's (WHO) situation reports.  They post one each day.  (CDC is posting their own now also.)  WHO posts tables with each report.  Scroll down and you will see China's provinces.  The number of cases there have been around 81,000 cases for a number of days and COVID-19 may have stalled there.  We don't really know because we don't know the extent of China's testing.  Hubei, China is where this started.  It accounts for most of the cases in Cina and nearly all of the deaths.  Is that because it was the first hit and they learned how to deal with it?  I don't know.

Look at Europe and how the cases are ramping.  It may be because they are finally testing.  In the past few days, health authorities have said that COVID-19 stays in the body for up to 37 days--longer than the common flu.  Cases may be so mild that those infected may not know it.  On the other hand, COVID-19 cases can be fatal.  We don't know if it is spreading rapidly or if it is already in our population waiting for the population to be tested.  I've been following this closely because it is affecting my personal life.  What we know is:

• we don't want to be a carrier of COVID-19,
  • we don't want to be in ill-health if we do get infected,
  • we don't know the extent of COVID-19 in the world population or any population for that matter,
  • we don't know the mortality rate because we don't know the population with COVID-19 and probably never will.

In short, we don't know _ _ _ _  yet about it but probably will in 2021.  

For me, I upset the closest person to me by going out in the world on an unnecessary excursion and am now staying inside unless I must go out.  

Bob,

My comment was pointed at my own company. Also, the kid's classes have been cancelled for 3 - 4 weeks, creating child care challenges. You are pointing to facts but perception is king at the moment.

7 hours ago, general_correspondence said:

If you're in good health, it wouldn't be a bad thing to contract this virus, it's the only way humans build immunity to them when they come around again.

Every cloud has a silver lining?

21 hours ago, general_correspondence said:

If you're in good health, it wouldn't be a bad thing to contract this virus.

Yes, it would be bad to get it.

• Those Who Recover From Coronavirus Can Be Left With Reduced Lung. People who recover after being infected with the novel coronavirus can still be left with substantially weakened lung capacity, with some left gasping for air when walking quickly, doctors in Hong Kong have found.
  • If you are in good health, you can still die.

image.png.e02e7a821db0a241def6ecac45959b98.png

I've been using livescience.  It hasn't been updated for today.

One factor affecting the country's [Italy] death rate may be the age of its population — Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older, according to The New York Times. The median age in the country is 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the United States, the Times reported. Many of Italy's deaths have been among people in their 80s, and 90s, a population known to be more susceptible to severe complications from COVID-19, according to The Local.

This situation may end up making Hurricane Katrina look like not a big deal at all.

As somebody who works with contractors, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that we will take our cues from our PCOs and base commanders. We will be working if you will let us do so. If not … we're going to have to discuss impacts.

2 hours ago, here_2_help said:

This situation may end up making Hurricane Katrina look like not a big deal at all.

As somebody who works with contractors, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that we will take our cues from our PCOs and base commanders. We will be working if you will let us do so. If not … we're going to have to discuss impacts.

Sovereign Acts Defense. However, the President and Congress are pursuing some forms of relief for this.  

28 minutes ago, joel hoffman said:

Sovereign Acts Defense. However, the President and Congress are pursuing some forms of relief for this.  

Okay, you want to start discussing this now. Great. Think Katrina on steroids. You enforce your affirmative defense, you lose your industrial base. Enjoy building the F-35 yourselves.