R&D RFPs?

Dormer30

I have an R&D requirement that previously was done under a BAA. However, I believe that it should (could?) be done as an RFP as it is a purchase of services for a specific program with a SOW that can be used for trade off purposes. FAR Part 35 talks about BAAs, but doesn't preclude the use of RFPs; it just doesn't mention them.

My question - is it appropriate to use an RFP for R&D? Has anyone done R&D under an RFP? Thanks, John

I have an R&D requirement that previously was done under a BAA. However, I believe that it should (could?) be done as an RFP as it is a purchase of services for a specific program with a SOW that can be used for trade off purposes. FAR Part 35 talks about BAAs, but doesn't preclude the use of RFPs; it just doesn't mention them.

My question - is it appropriate to use an RFP for R&D? Has anyone done R&D under an RFP? Thanks, John

I've never done an RFP for R&D, but there is nothing inherently inappropriate about it. Based on the guidance at FAR 35.016, it seems that a BAA may not be appropriate for your requirement:

35.016 Broad agency announcement.

(a) General. This paragraph prescribes procedures for the use of the broad agency announcement (BAA) with Peer or Scientific Review (see 6.102(d)(2)) for the acquisition of basic and applied research and that part of development not related to the development of a specific system or hardware procurement. BAA?s may be used by agencies to fulfill their requirements for scientific study and experimentation directed toward advancing the state-of-the-art or increasing knowledge or understanding rather than focusing on a specific system or hardware solution. The BAA technique shall only be used when meaningful proposals with varying technical/scientific approaches can be reasonably anticipated.

Guest Vern Edwards

Yes, it is appropriate to use an RFP to buy research and development. It is done all the time. Go to FedBizOpps and do a general search for R&D. You'll find hundreds of RFPs along with BAAs. There are many categories of R&D. BAAs are supposed to be used only for basic research.

John,

I started to respond yesterday but couldn't figure out exactly what you are asking.

Are you questioning whether you can do an RFP for R&D in general because it's not mentioned in FAR 35? If so, the answer is yes. FAR 35.107 covers Solicititations which includes RFPs.

Or are you asking is it appropriate to use an RFP when the nature of the work as such was historically acquired using BAAs? If that's your question, you can use either based on what you consider is most appropriate. Note the language in FAR 35.106 says "BAA's may be used by agencies..."

John,

I started to respond yesterday but couldn't figure out exactly what you are asking.

Are you questioning whether you can do an RFP for R&D in general because it's not mentioned in FAR 35? If so, the answer is yes. FAR 35.107 covers Solicititations which includes RFPs.

Or are you asking is it appropriate to use an RFP when the nature of the work as such was historically acquired using BAAs? If that's your question, you can use either based on what you consider is most appropriate. Note the language in FAR 35.106 says "BAA's may be used by agencies..."

Formerfed -

Since we've always used a BAA in the past, some of the reviewers were questioning both the adequacy of an RFP and the "legality" (for want of a better word) of an RFP. Your response covers both bases. Thanks for your reply.

And thanks to Vern and Don for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

John

Guest Vern Edwards
...and that part of development not related to the development of a specific system or hardware procurement. (FAR 35.016(a))

Quite right. Thanks, Don.