Future for Contracting

formerfed

Interesting article.  You likely won’t agree with everything in it but the examples of how much change happened is eye opening.  Lots of people at agencies throughout the government that are stuck to the past stand out right now.  It will only get worse for those that aren’t willing to adapt.  I see see telling Alexa to build an RFP for me in a couple years. 😊

https://www.ncmahq.org/docs/default-source/education/whitepapers/ncma_whitepaper-finalv5_web.pdf?sfvrsn=347c49c9_32

Honest assessment: that article could have been titled "Preparing for the Future of _____" and any random profession could have been inserted into the blank.

NCMA once again meets its mission of Purveyors of the Incredibly Obvious (AKA, The FAR Restated, Only Much Longer and Lacking Any Noticeable Point).

The difference between contracting and other profession is we are overly rule bound.  The culture is risk adverse for lots of reasons.  There’s little incentive to be innovative and in some places, you are chastised.   However, some are moving ahead.  Here’s a compilation of new things underway.  https://www.fai.gov/periodic-table/.   Someone can probably take several of these, talk with coworkers in their office, and get pushback as why they aren’t proper or won’t work.  If you don’t believe me, take one-on-one market research and see if it’s used.  The advantages are huge but you hear all sorts of reasons why not.  

These all are different ways of doing work.  Some are much more beneficial than others.  But few are practiced on a widespread basis because they push many people’s comfort levels and their willingness to try new things.

Our profession is changing and many will either be left behind or miss out on opportunities for advancement

Thanks, formerfed. I can attest through my participation and observation experience to what you said concerning one-on-one pre-solicitation Market research.

I have also successfully participated in, witnessed, promoted and recommended one-on-one during the time period prior to proposal receipt in the solicitation process.

I agree that there is much individual and organizational reluctance to use one-on-one (for either purpose). 

Thanks, too for the link to the above link to the “Periodic Table of Acquisition Innovations“

My personal experience with one-on-one meetings involved performance-based and performance oriented programs and specific projects for large Army Systems contracts (design/build/systemize/pilot test/operate/close/de-construct) and Army design-build military construction.

It might not provide additional value or benefits for routine and/or otherwise prescriptive approaches for services, construction or design-build projects.

Those senior leaders interviewed suggested the best way to address this “need for speed” will be to shift the role of the contracting professional from “process-centered rule-enforcer” to “mission centered solution maker.” (page 5)

I think my therapist calls this "projection".  The Contracting professional is not the person who convinces Congress to change rules, the "senior leaders" are.  If the existing rules are harmful in some way then persuade Congress to change them. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:40 PM, formerfed said:

Our profession is changing and many will either be left behind or miss out on opportunities for advancement

Formerfed, I agree with you. I would add that the first time I went threw the article, it struck me as more of a 10-15 year plan as oppose to a 5-year one your would see in the commercial world. 

We can all ignore it if we want, but these electronic contract writings systems were once a thing born out of myth. Just saying. 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ibn Battuta said:

The first sentence on page 5:

One of the first things contracting professionals have to learn is not to write sentences like that one. Empty puffery.

Efficient  - saved lots of periods. 😁