Source selection with minimal factors

formerfed

21 minutes ago, Don Mansfield said:

If you request this information, you will get unverifiable nonbinding statements about the future. The offeror will have to invent responses instead of report facts. This information is not as useful in predicting how an offeror would actually perform. As Matthew wrote, this introduces noise into the decision-making process.

Don,  this kind of information may really be important.  A company’s approach could be substantially different than what the agency wants or even accommodate.  On large efforts, some agencies now like awarding multiple small business contracts for pieces of development and have either themselves or another contractor integrate.  Each group needs to have similar methodologies.  

Besides everything important an offeror promises gets put into a PWS that’s part of the contract.  They become bound to do what they said.

2 hours ago, Don Mansfield said:

As Matthew wrote, this introduces noise into the decision-making process.

Like your conversation with Former your view is one dimensional.  In a PBSA via a SOO and I might add with "agile" as a ideal it is the entire acquisition process that manifests the best outcome.  Afterall being agile means the ability to adjust expectations especially after award to achieve assurance of final outcome.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:23 AM, Ibn Battuta said:

Rather than interview software development companies in order to determine their Agile know-how and commitment, I would test the government team. In my experience, the biggest challenge in working on a complex government contract project is the government itself.

So much this. The best contractor with the best people cannot lead a complex project to a successful outcome unless the government team is just as committed to that outcome.

My thought about this is it’s not PBSA.  It uses PBA concepts including solicitation with a SOO.  It also could use a PWS but only if you wanted something binding.  But that’s it.  Performance incentive for the contractor is doing well so work continues.  

I agree that Agile benefits are oversold.  Part of the lack of consistently high success rates is both government CIO types and user and stakeholder types not fully understanding their roles and need for commitment.  Communicating lay needs to a developer is challenging and takes experience.  Plus even when the right users in terms of knowledge and experience are involved, it’s never for enough time.

Agile has its limits but so doesn’t every other type of development.  Success data is all over the place but even the most pessimistic results for Agile seems better than other means.