Task Orders and Extending the Period of Performance

Bailers

So please excuse my ignorance here, but I have a question. If a task order, under a multiple award IDIQ, expires, is it possible to "resurrect" the order at a later date? Say a month after a task order expires we find out that more work needs to be done at the same location. Can we use the same task order and correspondingly any excess funds from that order, to complete the work or does this require a new order? All this assumes the underlying contract is still active and valid, and that for various reasons competition would not play into this decision.

I've been searching all over the FAR for an explanation of what the end of the period of performance means, but I haven't found one for task orders that really seems to apply. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Looking for a way to avoid conducting a competition for a new order?

No, it isn't about skirting competition. We can justify awarding task orders based upon specialized skills that one contractor has that the others don't. It is part of our selection criteria for the IDIQ. If we were to award a new task order, it would go to the same contractor that had the original order.