FAR Authority

Sunlight10

32 minutes ago, Sunlight10 said:

Simple question: I've noticed some sites list what appear to be the latest FAR updates, yet at other times, another site will list something more recent and it goes back and forth. What site is the actual final authority on the latest FAR updates? Thanks!

The Code of Federal Regulations, as updated by the Federal Register.

If it is challenging to find the latest version of clauses, how about trying to find the actual version of each clause in your contract (whether govt or contractor) when they are only “incorporat[ed] by reference” (IBR).

The FAR prescription encouraging IBR should be rewritten for electronic contracting.

No wonder many government contract administrators and contractor personnel don’t know what terms and conditions or many other contract requirements are applicable.

IBR is archaic and should be abolished for acquisitions using electronic (non-paper) contracting. It could be very simple in concept to include the texts of the applicable editions of all clauses in a separate electronic file, but furnished as part of the contract file, if you don’t want to overwhelm someone trying to read the basics of a contract or solicitation.

16 hours ago, Sunlight10 said:

Simple question: I've noticed some sites list what appear to be the latest FAR updates, yet at other times, another site will list something more recent and it goes back and forth. What site is the actual final authority on the latest FAR updates? Thanks!

In addition to the eCFR I would also suggest you use the General Services Administration web site Acquisition.gov  https://www.acquisition.gov/

This site has the FAR and links to Department/Agency FAR supplements.  In addition you can sign up for email alerts when proposed/final rules for FAR changes are issued.