Considering Cost Contracting

CBCoops88

I have been in contracting since 2015 but haven't done any cost contracting. I took CON  170, but the instruction was very poor and I was so new to contracting that I didn't absorb much of it. All of my experience has been in firm fixed price, both by negotiation and commercial contracts. I've done SAP, ship repair, and comparatively simple construction task orders. I am contemplating accepting a position with an agency that does primarily cost contracts. I would appreciate any advice on how to approach that transition, and pointers more experienced 1102's might have for me. This is a rather open ended question, I would be happy just hearing about how other people's experiences went. 

Let me say I never took CON 170, I took CON 217 and 218. From what I have been told CON 218 became 170 and 270. I am not sure how much of actual cost reimbursement topics you touched on except the math part. Do not be afraid to take the position. Everyone seems to think that cost type contracts are this mythical thing that only a rare few can do. You should pick up real quick the differences.

I shared your reservations one time myself.  I spent two years as an intern doing fixed price contracts.  I then went to a major R&D office that did most cost reimbursement contracts.  It’s very easy to pick up by listening and watching the experienced people.  Ask to help them do various tasks.  Look through files and see the processes.  You’ll learn it all quickly.