Option to extend services

Sunlight10

Currently, we are in Option Year 2 on a Federal Gov't contract. We have been extended for 6 months after Option Year 2 with the latest mod.

I'm issuing a mod to a Sub for this same effort and what should I call this action since there is no mention of Option Year 3? Option period 2 extension? Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Sunlight10 said:

Currently, we are in Option Year 2 on a Federal Gov't contract. We have been extended for 6 months after Option Year 2 with the latest mod.

I'm issuing a mod to a Sub for this same effort and what should I call this action since there is no mention of Option Year 3? Option period 2 extension? Thanks. 

Agree with Culham that you could call it anything you want. Calling it something is not the same as how you fashion your change notice and whether or not you have a unilateral right or need bilateral agreement to extend the period of performance with your subcontractor. Do you have an "Option year 2" in your subcontract? Do you have the unilateral right to change it? Did the Government? You can consider whether to mimic your subcontract action like the Government's contract action. However, what happened with the pricing for the "extension" at the government contract level? Are you contemplating issuing an unpriced change for this extension or would it be better if you requested pricing from the subcontractor, negotiate the "extension" an then issue a change to the subcontract? Etc.  

Thank you C. Culham and Neil Roberts!

Just a little background: I'm very new to this company and trying to figure out what had been done in the past and putting the pieces together. 

The most recent mod from the Gov't states that the mod is to  Exercise FAR clause 52.217-8 to extend the task order for 6 months. Yes, they did provide pricing to the Gov't for the "extension".

The Prime contract has a Base period + 2 option periods. The Subcontract lists a Base Period and 2 Option periods as well. I will request pricing from the Sub for this 6 month extension. 

7 hours ago, Sunlight10 said:

The most recent mod from the Gov't states that the mod is to  Exercise FAR clause 52.217-8 to extend the task order for 6 months. Yes, they did provide pricing to the Gov't for the "extension".

The Prime contract has a Base period + 2 option periods. The Subcontract lists a Base Period and 2 Option periods as well. I will request pricing from the Sub for this 6 month extension. 

Terminology a little confusing to me. What task order is extended for 6 months? I understand the deal to have a base period and 2 option periods. Where does a task order fit with this or am I not understanding this correctly?

Edited by Neil Roberts
sp

If your company submitted pricing to the Government for this extension, the price should have included the subcontractor price. So, unclear to me why your company would now ask the subcontractor for pricing.

Was the government extension mod priced or unpriced when issued?

Please clarify.

Hi Neil - I'm referring to the Gov't prime contract when I mentioned the task order was extended for 6 months as a result of FAR clause 52.217-8.

Yes, 52.217-8 is in the prime contract. I'm not at work right now, but will check if the Subcontract lists that FAR clause too. Good point. If not, I will mod it. But, I'm assuming it's there as long as the Subk included the flow downs. I wasn't there when the Subk was created. Thanks again :-)