New Employee Training

I'm wrapping up my first week on the job and my branch lead hasn't been here to really get me started. I have been given some advice from my co-workers here and there as to some resources to familiarize myself with. With this mostly independent week of studying and learning, I've learned that I have a lot to learn! My branch lead is returning this upcoming week and I have a couple of questions as I attempt to guess what is in store for me.

What kind of training is typical for a new hire?

• Scope and detail of what I'll be taught.
  • Formal class structure or informally just shown the ropes

How long before I'm expected to actually be useful? 

I know I could easily ask people around the office about this, but I wanted to give this site a try too. I hope this wont be too divisive among  the community! 

There is no typical.  Every place is different.  I recommend that you ask for work, rather than waiting for it -- and once you get it, talk to your neighbors.  Professional dialogue is of crucial importance.  And read, read, read.

When I first started out I was given an Individual Development Plan (IDP) that I was to follow for the first two years.  It listed the formal training (class room and online) and on the job training I was to achieve over those first two years.  The on the job training started with small purchases, small dollar single source negotiated actions thru closeout actions. 

Here's a link for further research on IDP:

https://www.opm.gov/WIKI/training/Individual-Development-Plans.ashx

If your organization does not use or have an IDP then I would suggest that when you meet with your supervisor you develop an IDP or something similar.

My organization likes to first get people familiar with the contract writing system used first. Then start some formal training from the ground up (CON 90/FAR Boot Camp first), while also having a starting workload. 

jj20874 is 100% right about professional dialogue. I would suggest in addition to learning the ropes in that way, seek out one who appears to have the most knowledge of your team's main acquisition focus (supplies/services/construction/etc.). Think of this person as a mentor. He/She won't be hard to find after a couple of weeks there and isn't always the person making the most money either. 

Suggestion: Don't let it burn you out, because it can in weeks if allowed. Being a CS is rewarding, fun and exciting career field, but comes with a lot of moving parts (Agency Supplements/FAR/USC/etc.) to catch onto.