ACAT I

duke38

We have a Acquistion Plan for an ACAT I Program Office and it does not address the fact that they are an ACAT I program in their Acquistion Plan, is this a requirement? This requirement is over 50 million dollars. My Team lead just asked me to find out if the ACAT I Program is required to list that they are an major program in the AP. I was told to refer to DOD 5000 but I am unable to find out where this is addressed. Can someone please tell me where I can locate this information. Thanks

Guest Vern Edwards
We have a Acquistion Plan for an ACAT I Program Office and it does not address the fact that they are an ACAT I program in their Acquistion Plan, is this a requirement? This requirement is over 50 million dollars. My Team lead just asked me to find out if the ACAT I Program is required to list that they are an major program in the AP. I was told to refer to DOD 5000 but I am unable to find out where this is addressed. Can someone please tell me where I can locate this information. Thanks

I found no express requirement in DODI 5000.2, FAR, DFARS, or the PGI to mention acquisition category status in an acquisition plan. However, arguably, PGI 207.105(a)(1)(a) effectively requires that you mention it. In any case, how hard would it be to mention it and how could it hurt? Frankly, it isn't worth time to research this question (unless you're an intern and they told you to do it for training purposes). Just throw in a couple of sentences in the plan to the effect that the acquisition is for an ACAT I program.

I found no express requirement in DODI 5000.2, FAR, DFARS, or the PGI to mention acquisition category status in an acquisition plan. However, arguably, PGI 207.105(a)(1)(a) effectively requires that you mention it. In any case, how hard would it be to mention it and how could it hurt? Frankly, it isn't worth time to research this question (unless you're an intern and they told you to do it for training purposes). Just throw in a couple of sentences in the plan to the effect that the acquisition is for an ACAT I program.

Thanks, you are exacly right I am an intern

Guest Vern Edwards
Thanks, you are exacly right I am an intern

Thought so. It sounded like an intern research assignment. In order to be thorough, read FAR Subpart 7.1 and the DFARs and your agency FAR supplement. Then read DOD Directive 5000.1 (current as of November 20, 2007, and DOD Instruction 5000.2 (Dec 2008) to learn about major system programs and acquisition program categories.