COST SHARE

KWL

I have a Cooperative Agreement with the Federal Highway Administration which has a cost sharing requirement in it that states: Note: The recipient is required to provide a minimum 20 percent non-Federal matching contribution to the total project cost.

The requirement is further defined as follows:

The Recipient shall provide a minimum of a 20 percent match to the total cost of the Agreement. The applicant?s 20 percent match requirement can be met through direct financial contribution or through ?in-kind? services. Please note that the percent match is required for the entire agreement and not for each individual work plan/project. Note: Unless authorized by statue, contributions paid by the Federal Government under another award may not be used to satisfy the cost share requirement (reference OMB Circular A-110.)

We have a potential new contract which will bring to us funds from the State of New York. We can define a collaborative effort on our Cooperative Agreement with Federal Highway which we would use funds from NY State to work on this effort. Would these NY State funds which would be used in the collaboration effort be considered as allowable to our cost share requirement?

We need a couple clarifications to answer. Who are you organizationally? A state? Are you asking does your providing funds from the State of New York qualify as your 20% matching contribution to the project?

Hello and thanks for your prompt reply. Organizationally, we are a not-for-profit corporation, incorporated in NYS. Yes, I am asking if funds provided to us from NYS would qualify toward our 20% cost share contribution.

Hello and thanks for your prompt reply. Organizationally, we are a not-for-profit corporation, incorporated in NYS. Yes, I am asking if funds provided to us from NYS would qualify toward our 20% cost share contribution.

Technically I think you are in compliance using NYS funds. However if I were FHA, I might say you are not complying with the spirit of the Cooperative Agreement. A lot probably depends upon the nature of your agreement with NYS and the conditions upon which you obtained that funding. To be safe, I would notify FHA on what you are doing.

Technically I think you are in compliance using NYS funds. However if I were FHA, I might say you are not complying with the spirit of the Cooperative Agreement. A lot probably depends upon the nature of your agreement with NYS and the conditions upon which you obtained that funding. To be safe, I would notify FHA on what you are doing.

I suggest asking the FHWA directly.

It may depend upon the origin of the NYS funds (e.g., I would think that one must rule out pass-through funds from USG source?).

OMB Circular A-110, Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Nonprofit Organizations discusses some details and restrictions on matching funds and references other rules and guidance.