Pre-Qualification For Design-Bid-Build

I work for a non DOD agency, I have a construction requirement ( to build a regular building)  and my program office is asking to do Pre-Qualifications. I'v only done Pre-Qualifications for A&E contracts, so before I tell them no, I would like to know is anyone has references or input on the matter.

Thanks. 

Batman, what do you mean by “pre-qualification”?  What are the objectives or reason to pre-qualify firms for construction of a “regular building”? Will there be a limited number of firms being qualified? Or is it going to be qualification based upon some go/no-go criteria - such as what??? 

We’d have to know what the reasons or objectives are to require pre-qualifications.  In my opinion, that would not constitute full and open competition. It may be unduly restrictive.  

Yes, we do use a two phase selection procedure for design-build but that is specifically authorized/required/preferred by law and implementing regulations. 

Can you please elaborate? 

49 minutes ago, IAMBATMAN said:

@joel hoffman Basically they want to do a  two phase selection procedure for design-Bid-build. Their rational is that  the process would result in the best qualified contractors. It would be go/no factors.

Are you truly meaning "bid"?   Just asking as to why "proposal" via a negotiated procurement is not in the mix noting the suggesting that the program office wants the best qualified.  Or phrased another way is a negotiated procurement (RFP/FAR part 15) really off the table?

Batman, 

20 hours ago, IAMBATMAN said:

@joel hoffman Basically they want to do a  two phase selection procedure for design-Bid-build. Their rational is that  the process would result in the best qualified contractors. It would be go/no factors.

Batman, using go/no-go criteria in phase one is incongruous with the objective of getting the “best qualified contractors”.  

Did you mean “best qualified [bidders] [offerors] will compete in phase 2?  

Edited paragraph:  If  phase two will be an IFB , there is already a two-step Sealed bidding method in Part 14. See subpart 14.5. I was involved in an Air Force, 2 step sealed bid design-build project in 1971-1972 and the Navy used to use that method for their design-build projects many years ago.

Edited: However, In reading through 14.5, it states that step one is not for determination of responsibility - pre-qualification based upon abilities. Looks like it would have to be a Part 15 process. 

If phase 2 will be an RFP, what non -price factors are you going to evaluate??  

If phase 2 will be RFP, what is more important, price or non-price (qualifications?, or ?? considerations?)? 

The methods chosen depend upon the acquisition objectives.

I really don’t understand why one would use a two phase process for a straight construction contract, when you can consider both quality and price in one step trade-off. 

You don’t necessarily get the “best” contractor in a go/no-go competition and why would the BEST firms compete solely on price? 

Id be glad to discuss orally off-line with you. 

EDIT: Even the best firms have their A-teams and B-teams.  You won’t get their A-team with a go/no-go gate to qualify for phase 2. This doesn’t look like it makes sense to me.  

You need to develop objectives for cost, time, and quality, then decide why a two step or two phase process is necessary for a  construction contract for a “regular building”.  

But decide  the acquisition process based upon desired objectives and priorities. 

I haven’t even started to discuss the problems and challenges in using go/no-go factors to “pre-qualify” bidders or proposers. 

Pre-qualification on a go/no-go basis necessarily involves use of “responsibility factors” .

Edited: As stated above, Part 14.5 precludes responsibility type information in step one of a two-step sealed bidding method. 

We’d have to really know what your overall objectives are for the triad mentioned above.

It would probably help us to understand better if you could describe what you DONT want or are trying to avoid by using a pre-qualification step. 

I’d be glad to discuss off-line with you.

@joel hoffman the program office is accustomed to using  pre-qualification with their A&E work,  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a circumstance of using pre-qualifications for regular construction that I was unaware of.  The  project will move forward as a typical Part 15 procurement. 

Thanks for the input

12 hours ago, IAMBATMAN said:

@joel hoffman the program office is accustomed to using  pre-qualification with their A&E work,  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a circumstance of using pre-qualifications for regular construction that I was unaware of.  The  project will move forward as a typical Part 15 procurement. 

Thanks for the input

Glad to help. 😃