Synopsis of FMS contract awards?

Synopsis of proposed FMS contract actions is exempted at FAR 5.202(a)(3).

That said, shift gears to synopsis of contract awards IAW FAR Subpart 5.3. Once executed, is there a requirement to synopsize FMS contract awards?

I often see DoD public announcement of FMS contract awards valued at $7M or higher, so this is why I ask.

I have never assumed that an exemption from pre-solicitation synopsis automatically provides an exemption from post-award synopsis.  Rather, each has its own list of exceptions.  There is some overlap, but the two lists are not identical.  

2 hours ago, ji20874 said:

I have never assumed that an exemption from pre-solicitation synopsis automatically provides an exemption from post-award synopsis.  Rather, each has its own list of exceptions.  There is some overlap, but the two lists are not identical.  

Wait!  Is not there a difference between synopsis of award and public announcement (FAR 5.303)?   If yes a FMS of $4M or more for non DoD agencies is to be publically announced is it not?

12 hours ago, Sunstrider said:

I often see DoD public announcement of FMS contract awards valued at $7M or higher, so this is why I ask.

I know it’s confusing but a FMS solicitation is exempt but the contract award is not.  I assume the award notices in the GPE don’t really happen much though through neglect or just forgetting.  However there is a requirement for Congressional notification of DoD awards over $7 million.  That includes FMS and that’s why you see those published outside of the GPE process http://farsite.hill.af.mil/reghtml/regs/far2afmcfars/fardfars/dfars/dfars205.htm#P60_1211

and because that’s a Congressional notification, it doesn’t get overlooked :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, formerfed said:

I know it’s confusing but a FMS solicitation is exempt but the contract award is not.  I assume the award notices in the GPE don’t really happen much though through neglect or just forgetting.  However there is a requirement for Congressional notification of DoD awards over $7 million.  That includes FMS and that’s why you see those published outside of the GPE process http://farsite.hill.af.mil/reghtml/regs/far2afmcfars/fardfars/dfars/dfars205.htm#P60_1211

and because that’s a Congressional notification, it doesn’t get overlooked :)

I had a hunch it was required, as there was no explicit exception for the contract award synopsis. Interestingly enough, DSCA emphasizes this: https://www.dsca.mil/contracting/guide/award/step-3-part-1

I suspect the pre-award synopsis exception at FAR 5.202(a)(3) is to mitigate the already tedious FMS acquisition process. But that's just my opinion...

50 minutes ago, Sunstrider said:

I suspect the pre-award synopsis exception at FAR 5.202(a)(3) is to mitigate the already tedious FMS acquisition process. But that's just my opinion...

If you think the process is tedious, you should see it from the contractor's perspective ....