Contract Numbering Convention

Loul

I have a strange question. Does anyone know where the formation of a contract/solicitation number comes from. As an example, in W52P1J-10-R-0074, W52P1J signifies the governemnt office/command issuing the document, the "10" is the fiscal year, the "R" is request for proposal, and the "0074" is a sequential number. In a contract, "C" would be contract, "D" a delivery order contract, etc.

Is this format specified anywhere? My question relates to a specific contract issued by NOAA which uses "CQ" before the sequential number and I had never seen that before. Does it mean anything special?

I am assuming that the Wifcon brain trust will have an answer.

Thanks

Guest Vern Edwards
I have a strange question. Does anyone know where the formation of a contract/solicitation number comes from. As an example, in W52P1J-10-R-0074, W52P1J signifies the governemnt office/command issuing the document, the "10" is the fiscal year, the "R" is request for proposal, and the "0074" is a sequential number. In a contract, "C" would be contract, "D" a delivery order contract, etc.

Is this format specified anywhere? My question relates to a specific contract issued by NOAA which uses "CQ" before the sequential number and I had never seen that before. Does it mean anything special?

I am assuming that the Wifcon brain trust will have an answer.

Thanks

The format for your example is specified in DOD FAR Supplement Subpart 204.70, Uniform Procurement Instrument Identification Numbers. Each agency has its own system.

The format for your example is specified in DOD FAR Supplement Subpart 204.70, Uniform Procurement Instrument Identification Numbers. Each agency has its own system.

Right. CQ designates an indefinite delivery type contract. Here'a a link for Commerce's system.

http://oam.ocs.doc.gov/docs/FY2003_CPDS_FPDS_manual_v1.pdf

Guest carl r culham

Loul ? One more detail to what has already been provided.

FAR Part 4.605 provides for a numbering system where the FPDS Management Office administers the number conventions. Reading this short section will give you the 30,000 foot view of the numbering conventions with further details found through FPDS-NG. The information provided by others in this thread is right on I just wanted to point out the FAR reference as well to give full understanding of how the conventions are managed.