Jump to content
The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, joel hoffman said:

 Whether Direct or indirect wasn’t part of  the actual question.

Must the contractor purchase it and is it allowable were the OP’s expressed concerns in the thread.

Not so.  Please re-read the original posting at the very top of this thread.  The question was expressly whether builder's risk insurance can be a direct cost -- here's the quote:  "can it be considered a direct cost on their proposal?"

Not having gotten a direct answer from the Government, I can easily see a contractor shifting to ask, "Does the Government require...?"  But really, that is a question in disguise, because if the Government answers YES, the contractor will use that as a basis for a direct charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kathilou said:

Thank you, again--especially for actually reading the original question. :)  Now, this almost circles back to the question I asked yesterday about the Hurricane Michael effect on labor and material prices.

Hope they purchased BR coverage and that it applies to damage to the ongoing work.  Been a long time since I researched coverage terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ji20874 said:

Not so.  Please re-read the original posting at the very top of this thread.  The question was expressly whether builder's risk insurance can be a direct cost -- here's the quote:  "can it be considered a direct cost on their proposal?"

Not having gotten a direct answer from the Government, I can easily see a contractor shifting to ask, "Does the Government require...?"  But really, that is a question in disguise, because if the Government answers YES, the contractor will use that as a basis for a direct charge.

If it’s allowable it could be direct or indirect as long as it isn’t inconsistently  duplicative. In other words, don’t include it as a normal cost in indirect pools then direct charge it, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kathilou said:

Now, this almost circles back to the question I asked yesterday about the Hurricane Michael effect on labor and material prices.

So, the other posting from yesterday was about a construction contract?

The standard FAR clauses for construction contracts do not envision an increase in the contract price to cover a contractor's increased costs because of an unusually severe weather happening -- they do provide for additional time (well, they bar T4D because of not meeting the end date, which effectively is a grant of additional time), but not additional money.  This has been tested many times and the rule holds true.

But if the contractor had purchased builder's risk insurance, and that insurance covered hurricanes, then the insurance company would cover the contractor's additional costs.  That is fair.  If the contractor didn't buy the insurance, or didn't buy a solid policy, then any cost impact remains with the contractor.  That is fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joel hoffman said:

If it’s allowable it could be direct or indirect as long as it isn’t inconsistently  duplicative. In other words, don’t include it as a normal cost in indirect pools then direct charge it, too. 

That's true -- I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard BR doesn’t normally cover cost impacts  and (as alluded to by ji) doesn’t cover Hurricane Damage to the ongoing work unless specifically provided for in the policy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Builder's_risk_insurance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...