Compressed Gas Delivieries Question

Renu Simo

Hello,

I am working on a requirement to acquire compressed gases.  I am planning to do a fixed price purchase order for a total of five years ( base + 4 option periods).  There is approximately 50 gases which are required and since program office is not sure on the # of quantities required for each gas , i am trying to figure how to prepare my RFQ. Program office don't anticipate to spend more than 40k/year. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

Background Information:  Gases are used daily at most labs .It’s required to maintain essential lab equipment and integrity of research performed by scientific staff who support research. Gas usage in labs varies depending on types of experiments and use of specific lab equipment.  Orders are placed and delivered based upon daily lab request. 

I would ask the program office for the details behind the 40K per year and include that estimate in the RFQ. I assume the details are based on so many tanks of a certain type gas. I would also list the names of all 50 gasses and for each, the type of delivery system (e.g., tanks/bottles and size) . I would ask each lab for past known usage details and include that in the RFQ. You should have a purchasing system that requires a requester provide a requisition with sufficient details to support a purchase.   

Without reading anything else, my initial thought is going with ji20874’s approach.  To avoid have the procurement office constantly involved with placing calls, I would write funded orders for estimated quantities and designate lab officials as ordering POCs to place calls as needed. 

After reading responses, Don’s approach makes a lot of sense.

Another thing is conduct market research and ask gas suppliers what they suggest.  There must be lots of other customers in similar situations.