Fragmentation of solicitation sites

lotus

FBO        Fedconnect     GSA's Ebuy    Navy's Seaport-e     NSA's Acquisition Resource Center      FAA's FAACO    .... and who knows what others ....

I thought FBO was to be the central site for solicitations.  How come there are still so many others?

Navy Seaport-e is set up as a Multiple Award Contract Vehicle and is therefore subject to FAR Part 16.5 and awards placed under the Seaport-e contract vehicle are Task Orders under Fair Opportunity. 

GSA E-buy contains Multiple Award Schedule Contracts subject to FAR Part 16.5.  Awards placed are task orders open to Fair Opportunity.

I am not familiar with the other onces you mention.

Guest PepeTheFrog

You have a good point. PepeTheFrog has heard that the government intends to consolidate FBO into SAM.gov. 

It does seem contrary to intent to have so many other websites and sources for government opportunities.

Perhaps the new Administrator of OFPP can tackle this problem. President Trump nominated Michael Wooten for Administrator of OFPP recently.

The NSA site is limited mostly to classified contracts with the intelligence community.  Companies have to go through an involved screening process to access the information.  It does a good job promoting competition within its classified domain.  FAA doesn’t follow the FAR and uses a different process.  Fedconnect is done by a private company and is not government.  The other two have already been explained.  FBO has a specific purpose and the other sites don’t really fall into FBOs arena.

3 hours ago, lotus said:

How come there are still so many others?

The others are, at least mostly, to advertise task/delivery orders under existing contracts.

I think Fedconnect is just a tool that interfaces with FBO.

1 hour ago, PepeTheFrog said:

the government intends to consolidate FBO into SAM.gov.

It'd be nice if they'd move E-Buy there as well since it's another GSA product.

---

From https://beta.sam.gov/ -

What is beta.SAM.gov

GSA is merging ten "legacy" award sites into one system.  Learn More.

To make this easy, take a look at exceptions under FAR 5.202.  Everything mentioned is covered by this including GSA Schedules under the 16.505 reference.  As I mentioned Fedconnect is a commercial business and doesn’t have a website.  They sell software and the software links toFedbizzopps. 

FedConnect is a service that many agencies use.  It not only connects with FBO but also interacts with Prism (another COTS) and loads communications, offers and other documents submitted by offerors and contractors directly into the acquisition software.  So, although separate from FBO, if you want to do business with the agencies that use it, FedConnect is required.