What is your favorite FAR Part?

elevenohtoo

Guest Vern Edwards

Don.

What do you think was pointed out? Paragraph 1.102(d) is a part of the FAR, just like FAR Subchapter B, but it isn't a FAR part. (When used as I just used it in "FAR part," part is not capitalized, because it does not refer to a specific FAR part, such as FAR Part 1. The distinction is that of a common versus a proper noun.)

Guest Vern Edwards
1.105-2 -- Arrangement of Regulations.

( b ) Numbering.

(1) The numbering system permits the discrete identification of every FAR paragraph. The digits to the left of the decimal point represent the part number.

Yes. FAR says that. I can read. What does that have to do with Sparky87's use of the word part? I do not believe it is reasonable to interpret Sparky87's post as indicating that he did not know the difference between a FAR paragraph and a FAR part. FAR 1.102(d) is part of the FAR, but it is not a FAR part. As far as I'm concerned, Sparky87's post is okay. Maybe his diction could have been better, but his intention seems clear to me.

Don.

What do you think was pointed out? Paragraph 1.102(d) is a part of the FAR, just like FAR Subchapter B, but it isn't a FAR part. (When used as I just used it in "FAR part," part is not capitalized, because it does not refer to a specific FAR part, such as FAR Part 1. The distinction is that of a common versus a proper noun.)

The question posed in the title of the thread is "What is your favorite FAR Part?" Sparky87's response was FAR 1.102(d), which is not a FAR Part. If he meant "part" with a little p, then his answer was not responsive to the question.

The question posed in the title of the thread is "What is your favorite FAR Part?" Sparky87's response was FAR 1.102(d), which is not a FAR Part. If he meant "part" with a little p, then his answer was not responsive to the question.

Yest the title of the thread was "What is your favorite FAR Part, but the text it was favorite FAR part (twice). Part with a little "P".

I chose to respond in that context because just talk favorite FAR Part is kind of like talking about baseball teams without mentioning favorite players. For example, what conversation about the St. Louis Cardinals would be complete without a discussion on hitters like Pujols and Musial. Much like the rest of the thread pointed out.

And we wonder why personnel get frustrated with our career field.....

What I find ironic is that there wasn't a single comment about the specific passage (nod to comment from Vern Edwards) cited. Quoting/using that FAR cite has helped me do more good in my career than perhaps any other. In practice, our culture practices the opposite. That we can only consider ideas that ARE specifically addressed somewhere. It is a passage that I frequently encourage my trainees to become familiar with and to use when advocating their positions on why they do or don't want to do something. I want to develop some thinking problem solvers not FAR thumping clerks.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should start a thread about the most empowering passage(s) in the FAR.

Guest Vern Edwards

Don't worry about it Sparky87. I consider the criticism to be groundless. I'll be reading the posts of certain people very closely in the future, expecting perfection in every sentence.

What I find ironic is that there wasn't a single comment about the specific passage (nod to comment from Vern Edwards) cited. Quoting/using that FAR cite has helped me do more good in my career than perhaps any other. In practice, our culture practices the opposite. That we can only consider ideas that ARE specifically addressed somewhere. It is a passage that I frequently encourage my trainees to become familiar with and to use when advocating their positions on why they do or don't want to do something. I want to develop some thinking problem solvers not FAR thumping clerks.

I recently dug up the Federal Register notice which set forth the Guiding Principles that were subsequently incorporated into the FAR. Here's the introduction:

On September 7, 1993, Vice President Gore released the report of the National Performance Review (NPR) which, among other things, required the Administration to simplify the procurement process through reform of the federal acquisition regulatory system. In response to the report, Steve Kelman, the Administrator for Federal Procurement Policy, established a Board of Directors, comprised of senior level individuals from the Executive Branch, to develop a plan for regulatory reform.

As a first step the Board decided to formulate a set of core guiding principles intended as a vision statement for the federal acquisition system. The Board also decided to supplement the basic principles with accompanying discussion and performance standards for the system.

The first drafts of principles (59 FR 26772 and 59 FR 52844) drew on the concepts espoused by the NPR and what the Board considered to be good business practices such as greater reliance on the good sense and business judgment of the procurement workforce; satisfying the needs of the customer; reducing unnecessary layers of review; emphasizing the importance of timeliness in the procurement process; and an orientation to best value judgments in making contract awards.

The final version of the principles clarifies the principles set forth in the first draft and includes an additional concept, suggested through the public comment process, which the Board believes would significantly increase the opportunity for innovation in procurement. Thus, the revised set of principles make it clear that if a policy is not specifically addressed in the FAR, Government members of the acquisition team should not assume that it is prohibited.

It is intended that the core principles be used in a twofold manner; first, they will be issued in the preface to the FAR not only as a statement of the goals of the system but also to guide future changes to the FAR; and second, they will be used by the drafting teams in the actual rewrite of the FAR.

We encourage agencies to make this statement of core guiding principles available to program customers and contractors, and to make the core principles a part of the basic training materials provided to all personnel involved in the acquisition process.

(Statement of Steve Kelman, former OFPP Administrator, paraphrased from 60 FR 4205-01)

[bold added].

• 4 months later...
Guest Vern Edwards

I know just how you feel. Why, this week I have to work at Pearl Harbor Naval Base. I have to spend my evenings at a hotel on the beach in Waikiki, where there are all these gals lying around in bikinis, keeping me from getting any work done. The weather is a stifling 84 degrees, without much humidity to keep my skin soft. The gentle trade winds blow incessantly in the evening. Tomorrow I have to take time off to attend a change of command ceremony on the deck of a great big aircraft carrier, where there will be food! Yuck! And there's all this liquor, too. Everywhere! Mai Tai's, ugh! Every time I walk through the hotel door they hand me one. And this is my second week here in a row!!!

I'm forced to do all this just to teach people about the FAR, the awful thing! I'm telling you -- I suffer for contracting. I can't take this much longer. :huh:

Guest Vern Edwards
Vern:

I feel for you. Fortunately, I have none of those distractions here.

Whew! What would happen to Wifcon if you did?!