RFP Cover Letters-Content

Weno2

Knowing it's a KO's choice, how much content should be in an RFP cover letter? I am seeing letters that tell the offeror to read Section's L and M, complete Reps and Certs, read the SOW (Section C), etc.

Why are "we" spoon-feeding propspective offerors?

Guest Vern Edwards
Knowing it's a KO's choice, how much content should be in an RFP cover letter? I am seeing letters that tell the offeror to read Section's L and M, complete Reps and Certs, read the SOW (Section C), etc.

Why are "we" spoon-feeding propspective offerors?

Excellent question! Cover letters probably originated in large DOD and NASA procurements of the 1960s. They were and still are called "Executive Management Summary Letters," addressed to the highest level managers of prospective offerors to summarize what the RFP is about and the rules of competition. Strictly speaking, they were not necessary. They were and are a courtesy.

Do you need one? Probably not for run-of-the-mill procurements. It's just another thing to do and to get through review. For larger procurements they are still a courtesy, nothing more. If I were running a contracting office today I would eliminate them in all but the most important procurements.

To what Vern said, I'll add that they probably served a purpose when RFP's where mailed out to prospective offerors. This might be especially true when the people opening, reviewing and assigning mail to staffs needed to quickly more about the solicitation. Now everything is electronic starting with FedBizOpps. There's no need for cover letters now.

To what Vern said, I'll add that they probably served a purpose when RFP's where mailed out to prospective offerors. This might be especially true when the people opening, reviewing and assigning mail to staffs needed to quickly more about the solicitation. Now everything is electronic starting with FedBizOpps. There's no need for cover letters now.

Having known a few of the executives in major construction companies and in some large defense firms, I'd say, as Vern implied, that the courtesy cover letter or an executive summary might be useful in major procurements.

Having known a few of the executives in major construction companies and in some large defense firms, I'd say, as Vern implied, that the courtesy cover letter or an executive summary might be useful in major procurements.

You're right. It is a coutesy and adds polish. If I were an executive and saw an RFP for a $100 million acquisition with a SF33 on top, that would definately raise an eyebrow.

You're right. It is a coutesy and adds polish. If I were an executive and saw an RFP for a $100 million acquisition with a SF33 on top, that would definately raise an eyebrow.

I agree if the acquisition's a major dollar, complex (e.g. two-step), "important" (e.g, ARRA) acquisition. I'm seeing them for EVERYTHING! GSA, simplified acquisitions, commercial services, etc. I'm running an office, and would LOVE to put the kibosh on this practice. Then I have the hear the "This is the way we've ALWAYS done it." Well, we ARE starting a new decade.... B)