Interagency Agreement for Logistics Support

I was looking at an online database and I found a blurb for an interagency agreement between NSF and DoD.  I don't have access to the interagency agreement.  The work was for logistics support provided by DoD at the North and South Pole.  What interested me was that NSF names its Program Office but lists the DoD sponsor as DFAS.  "Sponsor" in this case is normally the awardee which I would have assumed would be a Logistics office at DoD.  

Can anyone imagine why DFAS is listed as the Sponsor? 

Probably because DFAS transfers money to NSF?

See the  1984 Arctic Research and Policy Act and 1982 Presidential Memorandum 6646.  NSF is the lead agency single-point manager for all U.S. activities in Antarctica.  DoD cannot act directly because Antarctica is a demilitarized zone per the Antarctic Treaty of 1959.

NSF is the funding agency and it ships money to DFAS, which is a defense agency.

Here is the Act.  Do a "find" in chrome for "defense."  It doesn't seem to be non-defense.  Take a look at the U.S. Antarctic Program Blue Ribbon Panel Report listed at the top of the NSF Antarctic Infrastructure and Logistics (AIL) page.  Look at the Chairman for that Panel.  😁  Now, look at the equipment listed on the page for logistics.  It may be that NSF is renting that logistics equipment and paying DFAS for it. 

This recent news article lists an NSF "contractor" and "subcontractor."  

The NSF and DoD Interagency Agreement (IA) appears to be for rental of DoD equipment which may be operated for NSF by its contractor and subcontractor under a separate NSF contract.  That would make sense.  

You can find the NSF/DoD IA starting here.  Click California.  Click DoD.  Click 1758735.  Click FastLane Award Info.  I'm guessing that if the IA runs for its full term NSF will pay DFAS roughly $300 million.