Retaining Service Workers at End of Contract

mchoyer

A mulit-year services contract (currently small-business set aside) is ending in four months and the incumbent is not being awarded the contract. Instead, the agency is going to make the contract a JWOD (now known as AbilityOne), which will use half of its own employees. Thus, only half the existing employees under the incumbent contract will have jobs under the follow-on. Key is that the nondisplacement of workers clause does not apply to JWOD. Our concern is that the current employees, knowing only half of them will have jobs in a few months will leave for other employment, which we will leave us shorthanded with a lot of openings we cannot readily fill due to finding suitable employees, background clearances, union membership, training, etc... while we try and complete the contract without any performance issues.

The contract does not require that a fixed number of employees be present at any given, only that the requirements are met. Other than the obvious -- hire employees as other leave -- does anyone have any creative or not-so-obvious solutions to what must be a somewhat common but difficult contract administration issue.

Thanks.

Guest carl r culham

Not so creative but offered anyway. Retention bonus or something of the like. Might be offered with the promise of providing assistance to find other employment at end of the Government contract.

I believe your question and concerns deal with management issues rather than contracting issues. However, you are certainly welcome to post whatever you think is appropriate. Bottom line: If I know that I may get fired then I will look for a job elsewhere. All you can do is mitigate damages. If there are certain employees you wish to retain then provide appropriate incentives and other assurances.