FAR 15.101 describes how agencies can use different source selection approaches (or their combinations) to obtain best value. FAR 15.101-1 then describes the tradeoff process and 15.101-2 describes LPTA. The DoD Source Selection Procedures (which I personally find very confusing) describe VATEP (which I also find very confusing).

My question is: Are there any other named/identified source selection procedures? (not including hybrids of ones already mentioned). Someone at work mentioned Highest Technical Rating at a Fair and Reasonable Price? Is that a viable approach where I work (Army)? It actually sounds closer to what our customers need than the others as they need highly experienced and specialized technical support people.

thanks!

1 hour ago, Fairly New 1102 said:

Someone at work mentioned Highest Technical Rating at a Fair and Reasonable Price? Is that a viable approach where I work (Army)? It actually sounds closer to what our customers need than the others as they need highly experienced and specialized technical support people.

If by "viable" you mean "not prohibited", then the answer is yes. 

1 hour ago, Fairly New 1102 said:

My question is: Are there any other named/identified source selection procedures? (not including hybrids of ones already mentioned).

What do you mean by "named/identified"? Do you mean identified in the regulations?

Guest Vern Edwards
7 hours ago, Fairly New 1102 said:

FAR 15.101 describes how agencies can use different source selection approaches (or their combinations) to obtain best value... My question is: Are there any other named/identified source selection procedures? 

FAR 15.101 uses confusing terminology. It mentions "approaches" and then discusses two "processes." But the LPTA and tradeoff "processes" are not, in fact, processes. LPTA and tradeoff are decisional rules.  You can use different processes to make selections based on the LPTA and tradeoff decisional rules. For instance, when doing a tradeoff source selection you can use the standard FAR Subpart 15.3 process model or you can use a Four-Step process. 

Highest Technically Rated with a Fair and Reasonable Price is a decisional rule, not a process. There is more than one way to conduct a source selection under that rule. VATEP, on the other hand, is a kind of tradeoff process. Yet another tradeoff process is Simple Additive Weighting (SAW).