Meaning of Target and Desired in Solicitations

MV2009

Before I post on this topic, is the search functionality not working for anyone else? When I try to search the forum, I’m getting the following error: “Not Found (404) The requested URL /discussion/%3E%3Cimg%20border= was not found on this server.

www.wifcon.com”

If someone is aware whether this topic has been previously discussed, please let me know and apologize for repeating the topic here.

In terms of a evaluation, what is your position on how to evaluate target qualifications, desired qualifications, and do you consider there to be a difference when target qualifications are used inconjunction with minimum requirements?

17 hours ago, MV2009 said:

...In terms of a evaluation, what is your position on how to evaluate target qualifications, desired qualifications, and do you consider there to be a difference when target qualifications are used inconjunction with minimum requirements?

Are you writing the solicitation or are you responding to a solicitation? 

If writing or responding, are the terms already defined ?

if “target qualifications”  are the “minimum  requirements”, then  a“desired qualification” would be a form of a betterment.  I define a betterment as an aspect or feature of a proposal which both meets (doesn’t deviate from) and exceeds the minimum requirements in a way which provides added value (here, is desirable) to the government.

As a general rule,   a “desirable” feature shouldn’t be stated as the minimum requirement. A requirement is REQUIRED in order to be acceptable, not something that is ‘desired. “

The government can identify specific or examples of features that would be considered desirable if provided within the budget. Evaluation criteria might also state that a proposer would get credit for desirable feature/aspect if it can be provided within the budget. 

If a target qualification is other than a requirement to be acceptable, I dont know how to distinguish a “target”from a “desired” qualification or else I don’t understand your question. 

In addition, by asking “how to evaluate”, do you want to know the actual mechanical procedures for evaluating, discerning and document the evaluation?  Since this wasn’t asked in the “Beginners Forum”, I am assuming that you know the procedures. But I may be wrong.  

On 10/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, MV2009 said:

what is your position on how to evaluate target qualifications, desired qualifications, and do you consider there to be a difference when target qualifications are used inconjunction with minimum requirements?

Why would you want to state 'target qualifications', unless you are saying that qualifications that exceed the target are not desirable?

I don’t know if MV2009 intends to clarify what he/she is asking about.  

Joel,

Sorry for the delayed response and Bob, thanks for providing search result.  The terms are not defined in the solicitation.  I agree with Joel.   There are some that believe there is a difference between target and desired and a weakness could be rendered for merely failing to meet a target. There are some that believe when target is used with minimums, it is defined differently. I fail to see the difference between desired and target and do not believe a target is a minimal. That being said a response made by an offeror in attempt to meet a target may result in a risk that could result in a weakness.  Failing to meet a target should never be considered a weakness for merely failing to reach a target because that is something the Government would like to see. To me, target and desired provide a benefit beyond the minimum requirements because it is something you would like to see.  Could have this posted in the beginners forum? Sure.  I agree that defining the terms would resolve this easily.