Assigning UNIFORM PROCUREMENT INSTRUMENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS

trplyr

The DFARS provides the following guidance when assigning the 9th position of the PIIN.

Purchase orders--manual (assign W when numbering capacity of M is exhausted during the fiscal year) - M

Purchase order--automated (assign V when numbering capacity of P is exhausted during a fiscal year)- P

My past experience has been if I was not using any type of ADP procurement system, i.e SPS, ITIMP, PD2, then I would use a W or an M. For example, I used a blank DD 1155 and continuation sheets and filled it in with all the clauses, prices, etc.

If on the other hand, I did use an "automated" procurement system, SPS, ITIMP.. then I would use a V or a P.

Another interpretation of "automated" is, no human intervention. i.e, the system sends out the solicitation, makes the award based of a established criteria. Assign a P or V. On the other hand, I use the ADP system to select my potential vendors, obtain quotes, and make the award. Assign a M or W.

Any thouhts on this?

The DFARS provides the following guidance when assigning the 9th position of the PIIN.

Purchase orders--manual (assign W when numbering capacity of M is exhausted during the fiscal year) - M

Purchase order--automated (assign V when numbering capacity of P is exhausted during a fiscal year)- P

My past experience has been if I was not using any type of ADP procurement system, i.e SPS, ITIMP, PD2, then I would use a W or an M. For example, I used a blank DD 1155 and continuation sheets and filled it in with all the clauses, prices, etc.

If on the other hand, I did use an "automated" procurement system, SPS, ITIMP.. then I would use a V or a P.

Another interpretation of "automated" is, no human intervention. i.e, the system sends out the solicitation, makes the award based of a established criteria. Assign a P or V. On the other hand, I use the ADP system to select my potential vendors, obtain quotes, and make the award. Assign a M or W.

Any thouhts on this?

I believe the intent is "automated" means no human intervention - the system assigns a sequential number.

• 2 weeks later...

Typically I've seen manual PIINs for purchase orders used in two different scenarios:

1) Oral orders that are subsequently confirmed in writing (SPS allows you the option to stamp the front page as a confirming order, BCAS used to do it automatically if an "M" PIIN was assigned).

2) For "maintenance and service agreements" that are typically drafted prior to the up-coming fiscal year, allowing the PIIN to be assigned in advance, vice being generated by the automated procurement system.

Typically I've seen manual PIINs for purchase orders used in two different scenarios:

1) Oral orders that are subsequently confirmed in writing (SPS allows you the option to stamp the front page as a confirming order, BCAS used to do it automatically if an "M" PIIN was assigned).

2) For "maintenance and service agreements" that are typically drafted prior to the up-coming fiscal year, allowing the PIIN to be assigned in advance, vice being generated by the automated procurement system.

One interesting thing I've seen is manually re-assigning the same order number for "maintence and service agreements" year after year with just changing the FY identity field. The Finance people say that makes their job a lot easier when renewals go into effect.