proving status for racial or ethnic preference programs

Guest PepeTheFrog

Guest PepeTheFrog

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/lynnwood-man-tried-to-use-a-home-dna-test-to-qualify-as-a-minority-business-owner-he-was-denied-now-hes-suing/

The article is about a man using DNA tests to qualify for race-based or ethnicity-based contract preference programs. 

How soon before these questions pop up for the woman-owned small business (WOSB) program? What if a man decides he will self-identify as a woman and, as a total coincidence, win more federal contracts? What if more business owners decide to rely on small percentages of ancestry or even choose to self-identify as a part of favored races or ethnicities? 

Would the SBA Office of Hearing and Appeals decide such questions?

Has anyone heard of specific thresholds (percentage ancestry) to qualify for the various race-based or ethnicity-based federal contracting preference programs?

4 hours ago, PepeTheFrog said:

Has anyone heard of specific thresholds (percentage ancestry) to qualify for the various race-based or ethnicity-based federal contracting preference programs?

With respect to college grants and scholarships reserved for certain socioeconomic classes, many use the 25% test. E.g., if you are 25% Hispanic then you can claim to be Hispanic when applying for (many but not all) grants and scholarships.

• 2 months later...

On 9/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, PepeTheFrog said:

How soon before these questions pop up for the woman-owned small business (WOSB) program? What if a man decides he will self-identify as a woman and, as a total coincidence, win more federal contracts?

A person can self certify for a WOSB program, https://certify.sba.gov/prepare#wosb-anc, the document to determine gender is the birth certificate.  Some states allow an individual to change their sex on the certificate, for example California you can go to http://www.courts.ca.gov/25798.htm and request a change.  So if that was done I can find nothing that would not allow a WSOB designation. 

16 hours ago, Retreadfed said:

I don't see that at the website you gave.  There the birth certificate is used to show American citizenship.  Can you provide a quote that supports your statement?

Good catch, I can, (sort of).  There are multiple ways to certify, self or through another organization, They are: El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, National Women Business Owners Corporation, US Women’s Chamber of Commerce,  and the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council. 

The WBENC,  for example requires

Evidence of gender for each female owner(s)-- Copy of current U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, or Driver’s License

Evidence of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Legal Resident Alien Status for each female owner(s)-- Copy of current U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, naturalization papers, or Permanent Legal Resident Alien Card (green card)

The SBA website didn't mention this specifically so I called the District Office in Virginia and asked the question.  I was told they use the Birth Certificate, DL, or Passport.  I mentioned this should be on the SBA website.