How can I get an internship as someone who isn't a veteran?

Milkenhiem

I'm still in school, not majoring in business but I plan on getting the required 24 business related credit hours.  How can I go about getting/applying for an internship (anywhere) in the contracting field?  Can I intern while still in school? Or do I have to be a college graduate?

Milkenhiem,

I don’t know the answer to your question. It’s been my experience that getting a job is best approached as a job...you’ll probably find answers to those questions and much more in your first a half week’s work at it (20-25 hours) of seeking out, researching about, striving to demonstrate qualifications of, applying to, and interviewing for your next job opportunity. 

You may want to work the problem from different angles to begin with...consider paths that many others won’t  look at...for example, see this  deployable position with    the Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) Announcement number C1-000248-2018.  The opportunity closes in a week, deploys to Kuwait, has a $51K salary, indicates that Bachelors degree is highly desired...it doesn’t say a bachelors is required. The position probably works with non-appropriated funds, meaning it doesn’t touch the FAR, requires a lot of hard work, and isn’t an “internship”,  but you probably weren’t counting on living an ordinary life anyway...this might lead to other things...you can do a web search on  the interchange agreement  for NAF employees of the DoD allowing some to compete for civilian federal jobs after they achieve some certain sort of status...at their NAFI (Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality of the Department of Defense). 

Happy trails and best wishes for you whatever you pursue....

10 hours ago, Milkenhiem said:

I'm still in school, not majoring in business but I plan on getting the required 24 business related credit hours.  How can I go about getting/applying for an internship (anywhere) in the contracting field?  Can I intern while still in school? Or do I have to be a college graduate?

Did you visit this page of the WIFCON website -http://www.wifcon.com/workforce.html  - before you posted your question?  

Guest PepeTheFrog

Be related to or friends with a current federal employee who has connections with the hiring officials.

Gain status as a veteran, disabled person, or diverse/vibrant individual.

The next best thing is the Pathways Program that FrankJon mentioned, or any of the special internship programs that work for recent graduates. Take advantage of your temporary status as a recent graduate. It will never be easier for you.  

Yes, you can intern while in school, whether undergrad or graduate. Various agencies have programs like this. Air Force has "Copperhead Snakes" or something like that. 

3 hours ago, PepeTheFrog said:

Be related to or friends with a current federal employee who has connections with the hiring officials.

The next best thing is the Pathways Program that FrankJon mentioned, or any of the special internship programs that work for recent graduates. Take advantage of your temporary status as a recent graduate. It will never be easier for you.  

Yes, you can intern while in school, whether undergrad or graduate. Various agencies have programs like this. Air Force has "Copperhead Snakes" or something like that. 

Hm, ok thanks for the info, I'll check it out.  Also in terms of the 24 credit hours would you happened to know when it says "management and organization" can I take classes just listed as management?

11 hours ago, Milkenhiem said:

Hm, ok thanks for the info, I'll check it out.  Also in terms of the 24 credit hours would you happened to know when it says "management and organization" can I take classes just listed as management?

Try this I think it will answer your question......https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1100/questions-and-answers-concerning-revised-1102-qualification-standard/

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, PepeTheFrog said:

I tried looking into the Pathways Program and the only way it looked like I could apply is through USA jobs and every time I look there's almost no listing for students, maybe 1 or 2 at most but that's it.  Is there a better way to go about it?

• 2 weeks later...