Latest on NDAA for 2019

On May 9 and 10, the House Committee on Armed Services held a markup of its version of the NDAA for FY 2019, H. R. 5515.  Below is a blurb from the Chairman's Mark Summary.

The Proposal provides for a historic clarification of the acquisition process by restructuring the United States Code to logically assemble all acquisition-related statutes in one place for the first time since 1947. In so doing, the Proposal also repeals dozens of obsolete provisions of law, prescriptive statutory requirements for positions and offices, and outdated reporting requirements. To further increase clarity and consistency, the Proposal separates commercial items into either “commercial products” or “commercial services,” and creates a precise definition for “subcontract.”

As you can see, there is a mention of 1947.  That is the date of the Armed Services Procurement Act of 1947.

To get a sense of what the full Committee reported to the House, you can use the Chairman's Mark and go to p. 110 (numbers on bottom of pages).  Look at items listed in the "800" sections.  There were some relatively small perfections proposed to the bill by the full committee.  They are listed as amendments below.  

Amendments:

1. Full Committee En Bloc Package #1.

2. Full Committee En Bloc Package #2.

3. Full Committee En Bloc Package #4.

4. Full Committee En Bloc Package #6.

Once the bill is debated in the House, its free-for-all starts.  This is the beginning stages for the new DoD contracting provisions.  The bill, as it was officially reported out of the Committee, will be available in a week or two, or less.

Almost impossible for me to get through because of the way it's organized, but I still managed to find a couple of nuggets. I noticed that the micropurchase threshold would be $25,000 if using a commercial e-portal. I noticed that Title 41 would have a standardized definition of "subcontract". I noticed that a study of the roles/responsibilities of DCMA and DCAA was required. I noticed the changes to "commercial products" and "commercial services" that we've discussed here in another thread. I didn't see any changes to the TINA threshold.

Did I miss anything of significance?

• 4 weeks later...

S.2987, the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019 was reported out of committee with a written report last week.  The report explains the Senate provisions in Title VIII.  There are plenty of provisions in Title VIII so I expect the House version will go through changes when this thing is finally passed.

• 2 weeks later...