How to Write Your Question or Begin Your Discussion

There are over 6,000 members here that are, in some way, involved in federal contracting.  Although the vast number of them are lurkers searching the thousands of posts here, there is a solid group of professionals that are willing to share their knowledge with you -- for free.   Our members include owners of businesses, employees of major federal conractors, federal contracting officers, practicing attorneys, and just about anyone you can imagine that would be working in the federal contracting area.

When you ask a question or begin a discussion you are writing to communicate with people that you may never meet. Don't write an empty blurb and hope for the best.   It's up to you to get the help you want.  Below are some steps you need to take to get your best results.

Writing a Question or Beginning a Discussion 

1. There are 14 categories under the Contracting Forum.  Read through them and pick the best one that fits your needs.  There is one category called For Beginners Only.  It is for those who are new to the area and need some basic help.  Members who may help you will give you some slack because you post there.  Please don't overuse that category.  
  2. Identify whether you are in the private sector or government.  That is needed because it affects the response you receive.  A response to someone in the private sector may be less useful to someone in the government or vice versa.  Think about it.
  3. Start your post with the reason your are writing.  For example:  (a) I have an issue with FAR Part 16.  (b) I need help with a stop work order.  By stating your issue clearly in your beginning sentence, the Member with specific experience with your issue may respond to you.  If Members cannot figure out what you are writing about, you may not receive a response or you may not receive the help you want.
  4. Don't post and run!  Sometimes, you will receive a response or a request for further information within minutes of your post.  At least be ready to respond within the same day.  If you are gone for too long, Members will forget about your post or get frustrated and not respond again.  Stay engaged with them until you are satisfied.
  5. Expect requests for clarification from Members.  No matter how clear your request is written, federal contracting information is immense and a Member may need more information from you to help you.  Be ready to help other Members help you.  Remember, no one is paying them to help you.  They are doing this because they want to help you.  Also, contracting involves disagreements and arguments. They are to be expected as long as they remain civil.
  6. Do not hijack a thread.  The Original Poster has a claim to the thread he/she originated.  Respect that and don't lead the discussion in another direction.  If the thread made you think of something you want to ask or discuss, start a new thread.  The more threads, the merrier.
  7. Show your appreciation.  I have seen a number of threads that are ended with a sign of appreciation from the original poster.  If the responses to your original post helped you, please let those Members know it.  A simple thank you is sufficient if you were helped.
  8. In order to post a question or to discuss something, you became a Member here which gives you the same rights as any other Member.  I respect your rights and so should all Members.  Over the 24 years of this Discussion Forum, I have mellowed some and I no longer read every post.  Additionally, I'm not as nasty as I once was.  However, if something upsets me I will let the Member that upset me know it.  However, you may never here about it.

• bob7947 changed the title to How to Write Your Question or Begin Your Discussion
  • bob7947 pinned this topic
  • bob7947 unpinned this topic