Management and tracking of Government Property/Contractor Acquired Property and FAR 52.245-1

I am new to government contracting and administer several contracts that my company has contractor acquired property. Our project managers keep track of all contractor acquired property in spreadsheets and then we submit property reports at the end of the government fiscal year. My contracting department is looking to update/install a property management policy and an adequate system to track the property acquired on our government contracts. As mentioned above, at this time, the project managers do all the tracking. I'm looking to be pointed towards discussions/articles/books/experts dealing with implementing and maintain a government property system compliant with FAR 52.245-1 for our current contracts. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Rob

You might want to look into hiring a consultant. Government contractors who deal with Government property on a large scale basis have full time employees whose sole job is to manage Government and contractor property (to give you an idea of the complexities involved). Articles and books aren't necessarily going to teach you everything you'd want to know to establish an adequate procedure that gets Gov approval.

EDIT: Just want to add that those large companies who have full time Gov property administrators still manage to screw up the handling of Gov property.