How can we speed up the source selection process?

Guest Vern Edwards

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this counts as "changing the regs", but how about an organizationally agnostic team  whose only job is solicitation and source selection?  I would envision a multi-functional  "Source Selection Division" in a procurement organization, whose span of responsibility begins with a defined set of requirements and ends at award. 

From my experience, much time and effort is spent resolving differing interpretations, understandings, roles, and responsibilities amongst the team members. Having a validated process and associated expertise firmly in place at the start of the SS process would greatly increase efficiency, and might also help foster objectivity and consistency. 

Guest Vern Edwards
18 hours ago, REA'n Maker said:

How about an organizationally agnostic team  whose only job is solicitation and source selection?

I absolutely agree. You would not hire a general practitioner to perform cardiac surgery, and you should not assign ordinary contracting folk to conduct source selections. Source selection is a specialty. It's a complex undertaking with a lot at stake. It requires special knowledge and training. It is not a job for general practitioners. It's like sending deck hands to do a SEAL team's job.

I know the arguments against that proposition. I have heard them ever since I first recommended the establishment of specialized source selection offices and personnel. I still do not think those arguments are sound.

(But what does "agnostic" mean in this context?)

Edited by Vern Edwards