FT Employees (AWS/CDO) and impacts with LWOP

CHILINVLN

I'm struggling to find much clarity on this when read through DOL, IRS, or even other areas online, as it appears much of this may be discretionary.  However, I'm hoping I might get some insight here.  I will attempt to outline as much as I can think of.

• Company Pay Periods are Semi-Monthly, 1st and 15th
  • If a minimum amount of hours are not met in a specific pay period, it will be LWOP for a full-time salary exempt employee (e.g. 160 pay period, must have 160 hours at minimum, either through direct project, PTO, etc.)
  • We are trying to allow for flexibility for alternate work schedules to align to some of our Government customers.  (e.g. 9-hours per day, every other Friday off), however, this type of structure does not align to our pay periods, as some pay periods may have 2, or 3 Fridays.

I've heard of companies that seem to "not care" or have a set policy on this, however, have not seen those policies myself.  One example is a company that apparently sets a 1650 billable hour quota and once that's met for the year, that's all that matters, regardless if it takes 12 months, or 9 months, and if 9 months, the employee can take the remaining 3 months off.  I find this unrealistic and I don't see how that could possibly work.  I'm open to any thoughts on how I can work through this challenge or how it's done elsewhere.

If more information is needed, please feel free to ask and I can address additional questions.