The Wifcon Forums and Blogs
snydra

January 2018 Volume 1 Report

Recommendations include included eliminating 165 contract clauses that act as barriers to the acquisition of commercial items, and implementing a single definition of "subcontractor" to replace the current 27 different definitions.

Just finished skimming Section 2, Contract Compliance and Audit. It seems like the adults have (finally) shown up. I'm still skeptical that the recommendations will survive DCAA attacks and political maneuvering, but I like what I read. 

It looks like PepeTheFrog's "rumor" of the desire for a Defense Small Business Act was confirmed (page 191 of the Section 809 Report, Volume 1). Imagine that! Sometimes frogs are right.

Please share your thoughts here or in the dedicated Defense Small Business (Act) thread:

Wildly different than what the interim report suggested. I wonder what changed. Team makeup, resources, accountability?

37 minutes ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

Wildly different than what the interim report suggested. I wonder what changed. Team makeup, resources, accountability?

...looks like the appetite for change has grown!!

16 hours ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

From my interactions with certain team members, this was always the intention. They told me they were going bold. (In candor I didn't take them all the seriously.)

I suspect they needed to get their ducks aligned before going public with some of these recommendations.

3 hours ago, jonmjohnson said:

Here is another article associated with this effort.

Rehashes lots of old criticism. Not one solution that recognizes the true nature or depth of the problems. The last paragraph is a hoot.

Reorienting the department toward creatively solving problems requires education and training of both the operational and acquisition communities. The Pentagon’s culture and leadership need to let go of the idea that total control over the acquisition process produces quality and minimizes risk. This evolution in thinking will take time and intentional direction from Congress, the department, and the services. Culture won’t change without first creating new incentives, a new system, and new processes and guidance. The U.S. military has to open its doors for more Abe Karems and their crazy ideas.

OK. How? Write again when you figure that out and spare us all the yakkity yak. Specifics, please.