New to Government Contracts

A Sha

Just started a new position as a HR Manager with government contracts.  I'm updating the employee handbook and need to know what to to include, etc. vacation, jury duty, military, emergency closures.  Do I need the wage determination for the contract?  I know there is a specific document I need but I don't know what it is called. 

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, A Sha said:

I'm updating the employee handbook and need to know what to to include, etc. vacation, jury duty, military, emergency closures.  Do I need the wage determination for the contract?  I know there is a specific document I need but I don't know what it is called. 

This is a task that calls for somebody with experience in this area. You are not just writing an employee handbook; you are writing timecharging--and therefore billing--instructions. For example: emergency closures. When will contractor employees charge the contract and when will they charge overhead? When will they be told to use accumulated leave/PTO instead of doing either? Another example: wage determination ("prevailing wage") compliance. That's either Davis-Bacon Act or Service Contract Act compliance. Compliance can involve payments in lieu of benefits. If the contract wage determination changes, you have to pay the covered employees more, but you might be entitled to an equitable adjustment on the contract price.

You really, really, really do not want to be guessing on these topics. Further, there's no shame in admitting you don't know everything about government contract compliance; hardly anybody does. We are all still learning, and even if we think we know something, the rules change frequently.

You might be tops in HR matters such as hiring, retention, and firing--and still be unsure about many other areas such as proper timekeeping and labor charging, or compliance with D-B or SCA.

Do yourself a favor. Convince your new company to hire SME expertise in some of these areas. It will be money well spent.