Major Purchases from CHESS

Smurphy430

An interesting point came up the other day. I am a member of a contracting agency, we service other commands. If one of those commands wished to by equipment for one of their customers they would have to have the using command purchase the equipment, correct? We are talking about 40/50 Million in equipment, not some small purchase. I suggested they have the using agency acquire whatever equipment necessary on their own from CHESS and we would develop a contract to do the installation. However, the buying we could not do?

Am I right in my assessment, if so can anyone point me to regulatory guidance to support my position?

Thank you in advance Steve

An interesting point came up the other day. I am a member of a contracting agency, we service other commands. If one of those commands wished to by equipment for one of their customers they would have to have the using command purchase the equipment, correct? We are talking about 40/50 Million in equipment, not some small purchase. I suggested they have the using agency acquire whatever equipment necessary on their own from CHESS and we would develop a contract to do the installation. However, the buying we could not do?

Am I right in my assessment, if so can anyone point me to regulatory guidance to support my position?

Thank you in advance Steve

Steve,

You need to rephrase your question. It's difficult to understand what you're asking.

Under certain PM CHESS contracts, such as ITES-2S, the primes are required by the vehicle's terms and conditions to use other PM CHESS contracts as primary sources for any Tools/Equipment buys. There is also a limit on the fee that a prime can put on the Equipment purchased. PM CHESS also does consolidated buys where they negotiate discounted pricing. It would be worth the client's (or your) time to call PM CHESS and speak with one of the KOs there about what they can/cannot do for your client. For $40-50M of hardware, saving even 1% in fee is worth the call. I've always found them very willing to help