Property Acquisition question

pmh

I've always been under the assumption that you cannot purchase "used" capital equipment under federal contracts as CAP. Does anyone know where in the FAR or CFR it mentions this? I've done a search but can't find anything. We are a prime contractor, and one of my project managers wants to buy some used equipment. I have a call into my CO, but whether or not he calls me back is hit or miss. Thanks in advance.

PMR -

I do not think that FAR prohibits the purchase of used equipment provided that it has been proposed thast way and agreed to by the Contracting Officer. I base this on FAR 52.211-5 ((d) which states "A proposal to provide used, reconditioned, or remanufactured supplies shall include a detailed description of such supplies and shall be submitted to the Contracting Officer for

approval."

I realize that you are talking about capital equipment but it is my understanding that this clause convers that as well.

I would suggest you contact your Contractoing Officer and explain what you want to do and why and how it would benefit the Governmentand get his approval.