Contractor CAS Segmentation

Mayonayze

What are the unique identifying codes/registrations that a contractor is required to have in order to create a new business segment that will carry it's own CAS disclosure statement? For instance, is a DUNS required to establish a new CAS disclosed segment? Some of the larger contractors have dozens of disclosed CAS segments, how does the government keep track of these dozens of disclosures for the larger contractors? By unique segment operating headquarters address?

CAS segmentation and DUNS/CAGE/SAMS codes are not related.

A contractor must disclose its CAS segments in its Disclosure Statement. Each segment has its own Disclosure Statement. (I assume that if a contractor is small enough not to have a Disclosure Statement then it probably doesn't have more than one segment, but I acknowledge that's an assumption.)

As I understand things, CAGE codes identify the intersection of legal entities and geographic locations. I might be wrong about that -- and I'd love to see some authoritative guidance regarding when a contractor is required to establish unique CAGE codes for its various geographic locations. But right now, that's my understanding.

In contrast, there is no correlation of CAS segment with either legal entity or geographic location. The contractor defines its CAS segment any way it wants to, and in any way it can convince its cognizant Federal agency official that makes sense. At a fundamental level, you can tell segmentation by G&A rates. Each individual segment must have, by definition, its own unique G&A rate.

To answer your question about how the government tracks multiple segments, the larger contractors have CACOs -- corporate Administrative Contracting Officers -- that are responsible for coordination across the entire contractor enterprise. Further, the largest of the large have Corporate Audit Networks to further enhance coordination.

Hope this helps.

'At a fundamental level, you can tell segmentation by G&A rates. Each individual segment must have, by definition, its own unique G&A rate.'

so if there is not a link between a regulatory coding mechanism and CAS disclosure, is it possible that there is a link between specific indirect pools and coding?

1 hour ago, Mayonayze said:

'At a fundamental level, you can tell segmentation by G&A rates. Each individual segment must have, by definition, its own unique G&A rate.'

so if there is not a link between a regulatory coding mechanism and CAS disclosure, is it possible that there is a link between specific indirect pools and coding?

There is no link between specific indirect pools and government codes. None.