Defense Contract's B&P Usage for International Bidding

Hello, wanted to ask a question about a discussion I had recently.   

I work for a Defense Contractor and recently heard that B&P dollars derived from performing on US Government Contracts has restrictions for use when developing International Bids for foreign governments. For instance, if you bid a job for a foreign government and spent $1M preparing the bid and the split of US Content to Foreign Content is 10%/90% (meaning most of the work will be done in the foreign country), then my understanding from the conversation is our pool of $B&P can only be used to absorb 10% ($100K) of the cost spent preparing the bid and the 90% ($900K) is un-absorbable, can't use the $B&P, and will need to come from another source like profit. 

Is my understanding correct or something that government contractors deal with going after international work whose B&P is derived from performing on US Government Contracts? Defined in the FAR? DCAA topic? Or just an accounting practice not applicable to this site?

Thanks for your help.       

MikeBP,

The other posters are nicer and more diplomatic than I am. What you heard is nonsense.

Somebody is confusing DOD restrictions on allowable IR&D (found in the DFARS) with fictitious USG restrictions on allowable B&P. Not the same thing at all.

Thinking about it this morning, there is a provision in CAS 420 that requires both IR&D and B&P expenses to be allocated to the segment that benefits from them, regardless of where the costs are incurred. So ... it's possible that what the OP was hearing was that B&P incurred on behalf of a foreign segment must be allocated to that segment in proportion to the benefit that the foreign segment expects to receive from the awarded contract.

That's a lot of supposition and interpretation of the original question, but I wanted to be thorough in my response.