The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

Sign in to follow this  
lotus

Solicitation questions and answers

Are the rules for solicitation questions and answers spelled out anywhere in the FAR or elsewhere?  My search did not find them.

I'm thinking of situations where the solicitation has a date to submit questions by, but that date is now in the past, and

(a) I have a new question, or

(b) the Q&A are published and the answers open more questions, or

(c) the Q&A are published, but the answer provided does not answer the question that was asked.

lotus,

There are no rules.

A prospective offeror may ask a question about a solicitation at any time.  However, the contracting officer is not required to answer any question.

ji is essentially correct.  However, a contracting officer who does not answer a question seeking clarification of a solicitation runs the risk of having a successful constructive change claim asserted by the contractor.

Or the risk of a pre-award protest. Contractors have to protest “alleged improprieties in a solicitation that are apparent prior to the closing time for receipt to proposals" before the proposal due date - so if a contracting officer will not clarify an RFP, contractors have a strong incentive to protest.