The Wifcon Forums and Blogs

bob7947

U. S. Civil War Discussion Forum

bob7947    0

I have rechristened http://lifebeginsat67.com/ as a U. S. Civil War discussion forum and I have started adding items to it.  There are no age restrictions on membership.  If you have an interest in this subject, please join.  

CO1559    0

I have an interest in this subject. I grew up in Springfield Illinois; I've walked the Shiloh battleground twice (compass hike, lots of hidden memorials), and I've visited Gettysburg Manassas, and Antietam. I have several books on the subject. I have an authentic 1851 colt navy (could be an Army of course, I've not got it checked out yet, but it has all the serial numbers in the right places; it is complete with the engraving of the Texas naval battle). My great Uncle came across it in St. Joe, Missouri in 1940 and he gave it to my dad; and it was recently passed on to me by my mother who passed in November. My dad took the family to St. Joe a couple of times a year; then I left for military at 18 and never lived in Springfield again.

IMG_2513.JPG

bob7947    0

It's beautiful.  If you want, you can add that image to the Civil War site.  I just have to make a "Gallery" section named Weapons of War and you can add the image to it.  If you need help, just let me know.  If that doesn't work, you can add the above in a discussion.  

Have you read the reports in the Official Records . . . . covering Shiloh?

I walked Antietam.

I registered you and added discussion categories for Union and Confederate Weaponry and a Gallery section for Weaponry of War.

CO1559    0

Thanks Bob. I'll see if I can figure out how to add the image. I have not read the reports of Shiloh in the official records. Are they accessible? I would like to read them.

Thinking about all this jogged my 58 year old memory; I also visited Fort Donelson. Grant was part of that battle and then came down to Shiloh. I visited these places when I was in Memphis with DCAA (DCAI). 

Jewel is my given name but I have been called Jeff all my life (middle name Jefferson). My dad (born 1909) told me it stood for Jefferson Davis, and he said the Short's came out of Kentucky and settled in St. Joe, Missouri and Illinois. I knew about the Missouri Ruffians for years, but didn't know that the St. Joe area was a hot bed of pro slavery and pro confederacy until I recently read a bio of Jesse James, for which there is a connection to that gun (no provenance, and I would never sell it anyway).  Lincoln heritage hikes and celebrations were a big part of my life growing up as a boy scout.

bob7947    0

CO1559:

Don't use the citations that Vern provided.  Both are abridged versions of some part of the Official Records.  They can only provide a hint of what to know.

On the Civil War site, I have provided citations to the complete:  War of the Rebellion, Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies.  (We all call them OR of the Armies or OR of the Navies.)  In truth, you must search through the Official Records . . . of the Navies too to check if there was any participation from them.  These 2 government publications are about 200 volumes of details.  That's about 200,000 pages for a start.

Go to my Civil War site and click Some Basic Documents.  The first link provided is to the Official Records of the Army.  Click it.  You will see a bunch of links marked Serial.  (The Offical Records require some practice to use them.  I use the hard copies.  They are much better than the digital copies.)  You see the Serials.  Click Serial 10 .  Then look at the links at the bottom of that page.  Click page 0093.  That will get you to a list of 229 reports.  Most of the reports are written by lower ranking officers or by the surviving officers-in-charge of the mangled regiments.  Those are the most interesting and most revealing.  Some are written by low ranking Generals too.  Those reports stretch from page 93 to page 627.  The OR groups Corinth with Shiloh, for good reason.  You will learn why that is done, if you read the OR.  Those are the reports.  Likewise, Serial 11 covers the Correspondence.  Start from the beginning.  That is about another 700 pages--maybe a few hundred are pertinent.

After nearly 1,000 pages of text, you will have a good feel for Shiloh.  Maybe Grant's slaughter of his troops at Cold Harbor was worse.  I don't know.  Google "trees at Shiloh."  There was so much gunfire at Shiloh that the trees were getting killed too.    

I probably need to give a primer on how to use those volumes.  By the way, check the Atlas for the Shiloh map too.  It should be on the first link I provided marked simply Atlas.

jewettr    0

Bob,

As a Yankee from Ohio living in the Fredericksburg Virginia area, I'm looking forward to digging through your site.  I'm registered, but haven't been able to devote the time yet.

Randy

bob7947    0

Remember Ambrose's river crossing at Fredericksburg and his slaughter of his troops trying to reach Mayre's Heights.  And then, his Mud March.  But he did tell Congress he wasn't the General for the job.  When my dog Ambrose, named after that Union general, was alive I never mentioned Fredericksburg in his presence.

If anyone tried to post something before this morning, I didn't realize I had set the topics incorrectly.  I fixed that and it is possible to post.

bob7947    0

If anyone tried to register on my Civil War site and was not over the age of 55, you couldn't.  I forgot that was there and eliminated it.  There are no age restrictions now.

jewettr    0
14 hours ago, bob7947 said:

If anyone tried to register on my Civil War site and was not over the age of 55, you couldn't.

Gee, since I already admitted to being registered, I guess everyone knows I'm no longer a spring chicken . . .

14 hours ago, bob7947 said:

If anyone tried to register on my Civil War site and was not over the age of 55, you couldn't.  I forgot that was there and eliminated it.  There are no age restrictions now.

Do those already registered in the WIFCON Forum have to separately register at the Civil War Site?  When I attempted to register the other day, the software stated that there was already a user with my name...

bob7947    0

Joel:

There are two separate sites.  This one has nothing to do with the other one.  You are already registered on both sites.

bob7947    0

Joel:

If you forgot your log-in password, let me know and I can redo it for you.  Just tell me what you need.

CO1559    0

Bob,

Thanks for posting the directions to using the official records. I'll try to get in there soon, it sounds fascinating!

CO1559    0

Bob,

I found the OR's; at Serial 10, page 0099-0101, it seems to report losses. Do you know how to interpret this entry:

Total First Brigade 4 100 104 17 450 467

SECOND BRIGADE.

Colonel C. C. MARSH.

11th Illinois 1 16 17 4 65 69

20th Illinois 1 21 22 5 102 107

45th Illinois 1 22 23 17 170 187

48th Illinois 1 17 18 4 108 112

Total Second Brigade 4 76 80 30 445 475

Thanks

bob7947    0

Those are the casualties.  When they convert tables from hard-copy to digital, often the tables disappear.  I am using the hard copy.  On p. 108, it looks like the Union caualties in total were 13,047.  That approaches 20 % of the total of Union forces--in about 2 days.

Please post on the Civil War site.  I will respond to you there.

bob7947    0

Once again, I am requesting our members, to look at and consider registering and posting to my new site dealing with The U. S. Civil War.  I continue to build it out and expect it to take years.  As Martin Luther King Jr. once said: We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.  At least, we can spend some time together and learn about our country's past.  Today, I posted an event that began on September 19, 1863.  Imagine the horror of it.  William Tecumseh Sherman explained:  War is Hell.  Chickamauga must have been just that.

Wifcon.com took over 19 years to build, my new one is less that a year old.  I expect to change the domain soon to something about its subject.