Options

duke38

My customer wants to extend a task order instead of excercising the 1 year option that has been put in place, is this possible?

Why? We can't answer based on the limited information. What's the reason the program office wants to extend as opposed to exercising the option?

I agree with the other comment that additional information is required to adequately respond; however, I refer you to GAO case file B-401472 regarding an extension of task orders or contracts on the basis of Clause 52-217-8. GAO is challenging this premise if you did not price the extension at the front end of the contract. They see it as a new procurement.

I also agree that we need more information. Do you really need to extend the contract or just the period of performance? The period of performance can extend beyond the end of the ordering period but then you can't issue any new orders. The other issue is what money are you using? Options are generally made subject to the availability of funds, because we don't know when we evaluate them and award the original contract if we'll have the money. Depending on your circumstances, simply "extending" the contract could be viewed as one non-severable project, which would require funding with the same year money as when you issued the TO.