Is the CPCM worth getting?

I think I learned a lot preparing for the test.  The exam was more difficult  than any I took in college so I was very proud to pass it.  My management was impressed as many are NCMA members and that sure did not hurt my rise from intern to Division Director in minimal time. I kind of like seeing the CPCM in my signature block too.   

I think it depends on the hiring supervisor.  I obtained my CPCM several years ago.  The main reason I took it was just to have it in my back pocket and it was more of personal achievement and a why not.  I didn't and don't expect it to be a factor in getting hired for a job, assuming the interviewer even knew what it was.  Regarding the private section, again I think it depends on the employer.  I doubt very much the private sector would pay much attention to it unless they had significant work with a Federal agency and were looking with someone with Federal experience.  If I had to guess, I'd say the private sector would pay more attention to it than a Federal agency.  I'm kind of cynical that way. I won't say the test was easy, but I took it without studying, just relying on my (at the time) 9 years of Federal experience and 5 years in the private sector.

When I left Federal service earlier in my career for the private sector, I obtained my CPM from ISM.  I was glad I did.  When I walked into the interviewer's offices at GE all the people I interviewed with had it hanging on their wall.  Again, I don't think it was what got me hired, but I don't think it hurt.  Later on ISM stopped the CPM certification and started the CPSM (Certified Professional in Supply Management).  I obtained that as well several years ago, just in case I ever wanted to jump back into the private sector. 

As I hiring manager or supporter of one, I have given some weight to certification but not too much.  These days just about anyone can get a certification or degree, there is even one in Bouillabaseball I hear.  I would look at getting the certification as showing initiative, but I'd give much more weight to the hand-on experience, accomplishments, and communication skills someone has.

Guest PepeTheFrog

NCMA has the CFCM (Certified Federal Contracts Manager) and the CPCM (Certified Professional Contracts Manager). CPCM is more difficult and supposedly more prestigious.

PepeTheFrog wonders how many hiring managers or people to impress will actually know the difference. Those who are already familiar with the two certifications will know that CPCM > CFCM. But PepeTheFrog suspects a strong majority of the people to impress will simply see four letters by a name and think, "OK, so this person applies himself, is serious about this career, and isn't an idiot."

Now, if you have CPCM and CFCM after your name...straight to the corner office and $300,000 salary.

Your favorite amphibian,

PepeTheFrog, MBA, MPA, JD, LLM, PhD, PMP, CFCM, CPCM, DAWIA Level 6

The CPCM designation is well-regarded. As with any certification it's what you do with it after you get it that really matters. But for many potential employers it's a plus.

Pepe, I thought that Level 5 was the highest for DAIWIA. Do you have a "B.S." also? 🤓

Guest PepeTheFrog

joel hoffman: PepeTheFrog is disappointed to hear that you have not achieved DAWIA Level 6 certification. There is always tomorrow.

Your favorite amphibian,

PepeTheFrog, MBA, MPA, JD, LLM, PhD, PMP, CFCM, CPCM, DAWIA Level 6, black belt, reserve deputy sheriff, ordained minister, Eagle Scout, Kekistani refugee rights advocate, Certified Master Meme Magician