R&D contracting

Working at a functioning lab after 10 years of Weapons Systems and Reserve Support contracting in DoD has me doing a lot of my own research and interpretation.  There are a few R&D classes listed in the traditional learning/training institutions, however I have found that those classes are not really offered very often.  Any chance any of you know of a good R&D Contracting source? 

When I've been sole sourcing actions I've been posting the Justifications to FedBizOpps

I have some now that I would like to compete and am considering using a FedBizOpps  Market Survey (to issue past performance questionnaires) to find technically qualified contractors to distribute the solicitations to per FAR 35.007. 

I can read and interpret and to my very best, but my Agency can offer no real guidance and R&D instruction is hard to come by. 

Find some BAA samples, understand how others went about procuring R&D, and customize the process to meet your agencies specific needs. R&D contracting is definitely a niche type of procurement, and each military branch has contracting shops dedicated to supporting R&D efforts... you could try reaching out to POCs within those offices and see if you can get some guidance on particular areas where you need clarification.

Places like DARPA, ONR/NRL, ACC-APG/ARL, AFOSR/AFRL, just to name a few shops dedicated to R&D contracting.

Another possible place to gain assistance, especially if your pen name gives away your agency, is to keep within the civilian side and an agency of the USDA and visit with the folks at USDA-ARS as it is my experience that they have quite a bit going on in the research side.    Been a while but I did find this possible starting point for you.....

https://www.afm.ars.usda.gov/aboutafm/apd/