Small Business Goals & Achievements

It seems that the way Small Business Goal Achievement is calculated in FPDS is different from the way the goals were calculated several years ago.

It appears that the Small Business Goal achieved by an agency is determined by calculating the total obligations awarded to small business, and factored only against small business "ELIGIBLE" actions.

Previously, I believe that the Small Business Goal achieved by an agency was determined by calculating the total obligations awarded to small business in comparison to "TOTAL DOLLARS" obligated by an agency.

Does it matter? Has it changed?

It seems the numbers are being skewed (by calculating achievements from a smaller universe) for better results. Perhaps I am alone in my thinking.

According to the SBA, Eligibile Actions don't include items such as mandatory sources (i.e. Ability One), contracts performed outside the US, and Foreign Sales (and others). There is an GAO report that summarizes the SBA's stance on excluded actions which can be found at http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d01551.pdf

Does it matter: Depending on what activity you work for, any one of those three could be a major factor - or - all could be a non-issue.

As far as what used to be: From what I recall (and I'm getting to be a bit of a dinosaur, so I don't even trust my own memory) FSS/GWAC's etc used to be excluded, because the credit used to go to the originating agency. Apparently that changed around 1999.

I found that the language at 15 U.S.C. 655(g)(2)is as follows:

15 U.S.C. 644(g)(2) requires the head of each Federal Agency, after consultation with the Small Business Administration, to establish realistic goals for the award of contracts to small business concerns owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, and small business concerns owned and controlled by women. The Government-wide goal for participation by small business concerns is not less than 23 percent of the total value of all prime contract awards for each fiscal year. 15 U.S.C. 644(g)(1). The Government-wide goal for participation for small business concerns owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals is not less than 5 percent of the total value of all prime contracts and subcontract awards for each fiscal year. 15 U.S.C. 644(g)(1). The Government-wide goal for the participation of small business concerns owned and controlled by women is not less than 5 percent of the total value of all prime contract and subcontract awards for each fiscal year. 15 U.S.C. 644(g)(1).

Since the goals being reported as achieved are not being calculated on the TOTAL VALUE OF ALL PRIME CONTRACT AWARDS, the government is not adhering to the factual and transparent reporting requirement it has itself mandated, and in fact, has not achieved many of the parity program goals it is touting it has met/achieved.

Didn't realize I was in the midst of a political statement. I'll bow out of this discussion, after leaving you with one final thought:

15 USC ? 634. General powers

(B) Powers of Administrator:

In the performance of, and with respect to, the functions, powers, and duties vested in him by this chapter the Administrator may?

(6) make such rules and regulations as he deems necessary to carry out the authority vested in him by or pursuant to this chapter;