Benefits of an Ordering Officer

My experiences with an Ordering Officer is limited to sharing an office with the Admin Staff who was appointed as one 10 years ago and reading over the appointment letter as a curiosity. 

I'm trying to problem solve now for a unit spread over 20 states with 40 offices, 100 employees and a $10K annual office supply budget.  In the past, office supply orders for the unit were placed after coming into Acquisition.  This solution is taking up too much time for such a small effort (complaints, orders taking "too long", shipping to the wring address and receipts not coming back to the card holder).  I reached back into my memory to pull up the Ordering Officer solution, but I can't think of why this would be preferred to simply giving an admin office a Purchase Card and having the unit be responsible for their own supplies.

Finally, if there is a request to obligate the dollars up front (No Year Dollars = no Bona Fide needs rules) what is the flaw in writing a NTE contract from a GSA BPA and appointing an Ordering Officer?