FFP Simplified Aquisition With Travel Award Options

The question has come up before but can I get input into you all thoughts on what options are available when you have a commercial item simplified acquisition that includes travel for the services included in the purchase order?  Some COs will say that it should be FFP travel cost while others say we should pay reimbursement for actual travel cost rather than a fixed priced amount.  I am looking for a way to do the cost reimbursement option for travel cost as this makes the most sense to me.  

Guest Vern Edwards

@ thecontractingguy:

"Simplified acquisition" doesn't tell us anything worth knowing in terms of your question. That could mean $10 million. It appears that the real issue is that the acquisition is for a commercial item.

What's the service? What's the period of performance? How much travel will there be--one or two trips, 50 trips, an unknown number? To where? Within a state? Across the country? International? Short trips? Long trips? Planable? Unplanable? How much uncertainty with respect to the travel?

Guest Vern Edwards

Then develop a fixed price per trip and include those costs within the overall fixed price. Forget about cost-reimbursement.